equipment costs???

tucker44

i want to start reloading.... but what is the preices going to cost me for all the equipment???

i want to start reloading.... but what is the preices going to cost me for all the equipment???

Once you get bit by the long range bug. It's going to cost you thousands.:D

If you keep a sharp eye on a bunch of yard sales, message board classifieds and ebay, you could probably start hand loading with a decent set up for less than $200.

I got an old single stage press at a yard sale for $10. Lee collet dies from another message board for $15. A bunch of Lee stud case trimmers at another yard sale for $7. Neck debur, vld neck reamer, flash hole reamer, and primer pocket cleaner for $20 on ebay. And my Pact powder dispenser/scale on the classifieds here for $150.

Reloading brought out the obsessive compulsive disorder in me.

Ahh..Yes it's a slippery slope. For some peoples intended purpose there are a few things better left alone. Concentricity gauges should come with a disclaimer. Something to the effect of, we will not be held responsible for bruises on your head from beating it against the wall.

I agree with what other people said, keep an eye on the classifieds and you'll find most of what you need for a descent price.

Put simply it is all in what you want to spend. The Basic setup for reloading can be had for around $100. However if you go all out you can easily spend thousands on equipment. The most sensible approach to reloading is buy something similar to the Lee anniversary kit and start there. Then upgrade the equipment as you needs/skill level require.

At first, it starts out innocently enough; a die set, a press, a scale, calipers and a few hand tools for prep. A few nights in the garage and a trip to the range unveils a bit more acccuracy over factory ammo. COOL!

Then, the mind starts workinglightbulb. The Midway catalog opens up. How can I make this better? A powder dispenser, a couple measuring devices and a different brand of bullets shows up on the doorstep.

A few more nights in the garage and a few more trips to the range.

Movie tickets for the wife and her girlfriends, so you can stay in the garage Friday night making more test loads.

"If I only had a way to re-use these test loads I didn't need?" Out comes the $$midway$$ catalog again. A bullet puller, some trays, tubs and a few more ammo boxes show up on the doorstep. The wife starts getting suspicious, now. "Honey, what is all that stuff in the garage anyway?" :(

A breakthrough at the range! I got my pet load!:D

... Now, what to do in the garage all evening? :confused:

Another rifle comes out of the safe, a new die set, more components. "Only this time, I'm going to do it right!"

A Saturday afternoon run up to the local Mega-Hunting-Store yields a bounty of Brand new brass, BR primers, a highly recommended powder in an 8Lb keg.

And don't forget, that great new cleaning product you saw last weekend at the range, along with a coated rod, new mops,brushes, and 1000 specially sized patches for each caliber I own.

NOW THIS IS WHERE IT GETS REALLY GOOD!

The shooting rangemaster knows your name just like an episode of Cheers. "NORM!!" You're there 30 minutes before the first shot is fired, setting up on three benches, chronograph, cleaning station, lead sled and cooling off area.

That $125 membership fee at the range has already paid itself off, with all the discounts on powder, cleaning supplies, electronic muffs, specialty sandbags and such. Its a deal!

The only problem is, that first rifle just doesn't shoot like it used to.

OFF TO THE GUNSMITH! New barrel, trigger, bedding, scope. You name it, he's got it on the list for your rifle. "This time I want it done right!":D

But, in the meantime, I'll just buy this "factory rifle" to play around with, while my "Custom Job" is at the smith for a few months. No big deal. Another premium die set, benchrest components and a double rifle hard case.

You come home from work and find a box on the porch. Its just like Christmas every time! Wait a second, these boxes aren't from Midway? They're full of beads, stickers, ribbons and stamps Hmm...

Meanwhile, the wife has taken up a new $$hobby$$ with all HER free time. "You're always in the garage anyway" ge(

"No problemo!" More time for reloading!

The faithful old Bird Dog frowns at you as if to say, "When are we going hunting?" "I'm off to the range, no place for you there, old dog!"

Is there such thing as "RE-LOADERS ANONYMOUS" for recovering shooters?

Oh, never mind. I need to stay focused on finding that new, oversized gun safe and powder locker. Besides, I've got a buddy coming over tonight to drop off his rifle so I can work up a load for deer season!

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.