entry level rifles

Any you mention would be good.

I'd throw a Stevens 200 into the mix. Do a little research on them. Rougher than a cob but are plenty good and can grow with you as drive and cash increase......

While most of us would love to have the best of everything sometimes we have to progress into our gear. Sako trg-42 338 lapua $3400 + Nightforce $1700 ammo $5 per round ,swarowski range finder 900ish etc. etc. etc. My First rig= Tikka T3 300wsm $495 two extra mags $25 each on gunbroker, Harris bipod $85, Sling $15, ammo $1 per round, bushnell elite 1500 range finder and most relevant to this thread the lowly Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 BDC reticle $125 Knowing you can dump your buck at 650..... Priceless

Thanks guys,
Man don't ever take it for granted that you guys live in the states. Tikka, yeah I would love one but they start at 750 from Wholesale sports up here in Canada. The Weatherby is 529 though. I have heard that 770s are not well built but wanted to see with you guys. They have Savages with accu triggers for about 600 bucks.

Thanks guys,
Man don't ever take it for granted that you guys live in the states. Tikka, yeah I would love one but they start at 750 from Wholesale sports up here in Canada. The Weatherby is 529 though. I have heard that 770s are not well built but wanted to see with you guys. They have Savages with accu triggers for about 600 bucks.

Alright then. the "Savages with accu triggers for about 600 bucks" sounds like the best value for you. There is always cheaper, but with a switch barrel Savage you can use this action forever. That means no wasted money.
And plenty of reasonably priced accessories available.
Just my 2 cents.

Good Shooting

id go with a stevens 200. use the spare cash for good glass and once you want a new barrel and different caliber you can just swap out the barrel yourself with a little knowledge and the right tools.
and you can upgrade by yourself to new triggers and no blue printing
have fun...

Alright then. the "Savages with accu triggers for about 600 bucks" sounds like the best value for you. There is always cheaper, but with a switch barrel Savage you can use this action forever. That means no wasted money.
And plenty of reasonably priced accessories available.
Just my 2 cents.

Good Shooting

+1........

So, what is wrong with your Dads' Marlin XL7?
I just bought one and I am no entry level shooter.
Don't know what they sell for there but they sure seem like a solid rifle for the $$$.
They also have the switch barrel option.

If I was looking for a 243 or 25-06, which of the entry level rifles would you look at? I don't have a lot of cash but need something that still performs for the price range. My dad has a Marlin XL7. What about Vanguards, Savage 111's, Remington 770's, Mossberg 4x4. Up here in Canada a Vanguard is a bit more but seems a lot nicer.

Hey, I just got a Mossberg ATR 100 in 243 Win. From buds gun shop online for $369. Walnut stock, fluted barrel, lightning adjusted trigger. Cold,windy,20 degree day last week I got to shoot it. First 3 was 3/4 " group 5 shot group was 1 1/2" did I mention it was 20 degrees & windy. Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop best deal I could find.

Take a look at the Weatherby Vangard S-2,(Cabelas $450.00) I have one in .257 WBY with a Leupold 6 x 18 VX-II(Also Cabelas $420.00) Nice set up, shoots 3/4" or less 3 shot groups all day long. I quess this could be considered entry level?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.