Enough power?

DP9,

I used to have a 22-250 with a 8-32X scope on it. On a trip to Kansas to shoot prarrie dogs my buddy and I both found that in the heat of the day mirage became so bad we were turning our scopes down to about 16X. I was able to connect on one PD at 500 yards with my scope at 16X and I had no problems seeing him.

I also got caught with the scope on 32X when I spotted a wood chuck at about 30 yards, It was impossible for me to find him in the scope. Fortunately he held still long enough for me to dial back, find him and send him on his way to the big bean field in the sky.

At the range the 32X was a joy. I could easily spot .22 holes in the target out to 200 yards. It also taught me a lot about how much my body was moving with my heart beat and how I had to time the shot to the still portion of my pulse. It also let me see the effect of the heavy, factory set, trigger pull and how much that was reduced by adjusting my trigger pull down. So the high power scopes have their place.

For a hunting rifle, especially a carry weight gun, I don't plan on buying another that will go over 20X and I want it to go as low as possible on the bottom end. But that is just my opinion.

take a look at this i realy leke kahles too New Kahles 4.5-18x50 Helia K418 30mm Riflescope i haven't see a pic yet

I still havent decided and the deal on the leupold fell through. Im not back to the Kahles, still not sure yet.

leupold isin a lower category than kahles , swarovski, zeiss, S&B, or ior, and as you know optics is an investment if i have to buy someting diferent than kahles i would buy top line zeiss or S&B i prefer kahles over swaroski or anything else and i think leupold is overpriced (lower optic for the money)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.