enlarged primer pockets

Spindrift

I have 338/300Rum (EDGE) and am experiencing enlarged primer pockets, I believe this may be because of the load is too hot. I am using nosler brass and CCI mag primers. Any advice?

I have 338/300Rum (EDGE) and am experiencing enlarged primer pockets, I believe this may be because of the load is too hot. I am using nosler brass and CCI mag primers. Any advice?

The problems w/primer pockets your are having are becoming a universal complaint with Nosler brass. Do a search and you'll see.

I have found, and there are plenty who agree, that Nosler Cases show primer pocket expansion well before Remingtons do. Even at reasonable pressures.

I've actually blown two primer pockets i.e., primers fell out upon extraction, when extraction no resistance at all. (Due to powder bridging not overly hot load). Thus I'd say that the material is ok but the head design must leave something to be desired.

I'd dump those Nosler cases and go back to remingtons. The Edge is a proven shootin' machine and if chambered by the DE and more or less standard loads are used, the Rem cases will serve you well.

If I recall correctly some one chopped a Nosler case way back when and questioned the head design at that time.

BTW, the whole Nosler brass thing is beginning to tick me off.:mad:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts