enie meenie minie mo...

bblaine2k

I've got a 7 RUM in a Remington 700 Sendero SF. Probably the best shooting gun in my collection. It's not a carry-around gun with the bipod and big Sightron SII series scope but it does shoot nicely.

As for 7 RUM vs. 300 RUM. I asked myself this question before I decided and opted to go with the 7 RUM for the simple reason that it shoots marginally flatter and it would probably see more use on long range whitetails than big game. The 300 RUM is a favorite here as well though. I don't think recoil is a problem but then again it isn't a sporter weight like you're talking about. Actually, if you're looking for shooting around 300-500 yards there's many other magnums that would work just as well, with less powder and recoil to include the 300 WSM, 7 Rem Mag, 7 WSMand many others. Of the other choices, I'd probably consider the 300 WSM. Plan on doing LOTS of range time and reloading. Get your trigger down to something light, a high quality (i.e., $300+) scope from Leupold, Sightron, Nikon, etc. and have at it.

Good luck!

I did a search but did not find comparisons between the 7mm Rum and the 300 Rum. Here is my need... I have hunted shotgun and handgun for the past 25 years in the woods of Michigan and am now expanding my range. This will be my first serious rifle for open areas and also to take out west to hunt with a friend that lives in WY. Michigan game will be deer. Out West will be Pronghorn, Elk and who knows, maybe Caribou in AK, and remotely a goat or sheep. I want a flat shooting round because I'm not accustomed to long range shooting and hunting. Judging distances will have to be supplemented with a range finder and a shot 300+ at this time is intimidating. Most of my practicing will be at a 200 yard range with confirmation shooting at longer distances. I want a flat shooter so that holdover won't be extreme. Recoil may be a consideration but I do shoot 3 1/2 inch waterfowl loads and when younger shot 3 inch slugs from a light single shot. A friend had an 8 mm Rem mag that I shot a number of times from the bench before the days of improved recoil pads. I think his was just a plastic butt plate. How would the 8mm compare to the 7rum or 300 Rum in recoil? It appears that either would perform well so is it just a matter of a flip of a coin? I'm leaning toward the 7mm Rum because it shoots a little flatter and would have a bit less recoil, although when using the same weight bullet, would be about the same? As far as the versatility of bullets, I would probably have one load for deer/antelope, and another for Elk. I don't imagine needing a huge assortment other than being able to find the best when reloading. Thanks for the help.

Second the opinion that there are many good cartridges that will work.

In sporter/hunting weight rifles I would look at 7WSM and 300 WSM. 165 or 168 gr bullets in either are flat shooting and relatively easy in recoil. If pick the 300 WSM a good 180 would be great elk round while the 165s would work for deer. The 168 in 7mm would be good all around.

Think you will find that lower recoil will substantially help your confidence and practice ability of the top boomers.

BH

I certainly agree with both opinions. If your looking to shoot 500yds or less, something with a little less punch than the RUMs will do the trick. But if you think you might try to reach out further, and you don't mind the stiff recoil, then the shoulder smashers are the way to go. The 7mmRUM will shoot a little flatter, but the 300RUM will retain greater energies downrange. That being said, both are highly accurate calibers for long range shooting, and will kill the hell out of any game in North America. Recoil energies are a good bit stiffer with the 300 though.

I shoot a 300RUM Rem 700 SF and two days ago was dusting clay targets at 600 and 700 yards. I had a brake intalled on it for range shooting (a definite necessity for recoil sensitive wimps like me), but I remove it for hunting. Haven't found that poi changes either.

As far as glass goes, I scoped my 300RUM with a Burris Black Diamond 4-16x with the mil-dot reticle. I find that the mil-dot makes it much easier than adjusting target turrets in hunting applications. Zero at 100 and you can shoot out to 600 with the lower post. Zero at 300 and shoot to 1000. These scopes and others of the same class are a bit pricey, around $750, but I am a firm believer in good glass. Why have a rifle that will shoot <MOA groups and not have a scope that will allow you to do it. Just my opinion.

Best of luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.