Energy vs. Energy Transfer

yes the larger the surface area the better transfer but you have to consider design you can't tell me that a solid vs. A soft point won't have a different transfer that's all I'm saying I can tear a hole in something with a bullet at 2300fps and penatrate with good hydrostatic shock then take the same bullet at 3000fps and it splash on the hide and not penetrate.bullet design and velocity will determine how the energy is transferred the op. Was asking about energy transfer. Your implying about bigger is better, we know bigger is better I'm talking about how energy is transfered with the same exact bullet transferring its energy with the only variable beeing velocity

wait a minute, are we talkin about wound channels or energy transfer because I can put a big hole in something with my bow at about 60 ft.lbs of energy?

For my two cents there is no such thing as knock down power. The amount of energy a bullet has is less than the recoil energy. The amount of force accelerating from zero to 3000 fps in 2 feet is the same a de-accelerating the same thing from 3000 fps in the same distance. The bullet is going slower at the target than the muzzle so is less energy. I haven't been knocked down by a rifle yet shooting offhand. Now if someone would like to explain how the energy gets created for this "knock down" effect to occur I would like to hear it. Remember energy can not be created or destroyed only transformed.

If you are really interested in learning about this thread read Dr. Martin Factler's books. He is an expert in the area of wound channels and terminal ballistics.

Yea you want a wound channel to destroy tissue. Get knocked down by high energy transfer with a medicine ball; no big deal. Get complete penetration through the body with a hypodermic; ouch, but no big deal. Get shot with a low energy/low velocity broadhead/ DEAD. Substitute performance of a bullet and, well, you get the point.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.