encore Vs bolt action for elk hunting

Wolf76

First post, long time reader.

Just a general question. I have an encore in 300 mag that shoots great with handloads. She has .25 in of freebore and I can seat the bullets long. Accuracy is 1.25-1.5" at 200. This hot load is with a 200 accubond and H1000.
I also have a .308 in a bolt action that shoots 1.4" at 200 with 165 SST and varget. Of course I'll change the bullet for elk if I go that route.

I'm going to Colorado in 2015 for my first elk hunt and would like an opinion on if a bolt action would provide any real benefit. I'd like to take the encore as the 300 has more authority.

Thoughts?

A lot depends on what kind of 'hunting' you will be doing. If it will pretty much all be long range with no need for a quick follow up shot, you will be fine. However, if there could be the need for a follow up shot, you might want to think twice. You could always bring both and just pick one based on how you are hunting that day.

I have an encore in 7-08 that shoots great and shot two whitetails that dropped within a few feet of each other. Quick follow up shots are possible just keep a bullet in your hand if you are stalking in on an elk.
You couldn't pay me enough to down grade from a 300 win mag and 200gr. Accubond to a 308. If you can shoot the 300 well then stick with it. The encore is probably lighter than the bolt action for packing in the mountains.

I used to shoot Ruger number one's and was as fast as anyone can be at reloading a single shot. If I were going elk hunting at any range I would take a repeater of some sort because the need for follow up shots is very high. Your 300wm is more than accurate enough for the job but I still would go with a repeater in the same caliber.

If you want to stick with Thompson they now make a repeating bolt action what is reputed to be very accurate.

I haven't loaded a magazine in years. A good precision rifle is all you need if you know when to shoot or not. Now most of our shots are in the 400 to 800 yard range. But we take some under 200 as well. I just toss the follow up round on the ground bolt side when prone. Granted the encore will be a little slower to load but if I had confidence in its accuracy I would have no concerns in taking it. We took 8 Bulls this season single feeding.

Jeff

For me the .300 sells itself, a single shot isn't a handicap.

I have 0 experience using an Encore, I can't recall even handling one so this is truly a question not a statement. How well do they hold up in the field? Do they travel well? In and out of scabbard, inclement weather, a different environment than home, basically the rigors of an elk hunt?

I second the Encore, I've killed a lot of bulls with one......as a muzzleloader, some take follow ups and you can certainly load than 300WM faster than I can stuff one done the tube:)

It's more about good first round shot placement than about the number if hits on hair.

Good luck in 2015!

Thank you for all the responses. The outfitter said most of the shots are in the <150 yard category and the tops out at 300 yards. I have confidence in both guns, but like the 200 accubond for many reasons. The encore is a little heavy #9.25 loaded, the 308 is 8.5#. I'm in good health, young, and could have played college football at the linebacker position. Probably a good thing I didn't because all my joints work like they should:) I will bring both and start practicing free hand shots more. Anyone have a great 308 bullet for elk? Thinking interbond or accubond 165 gr.

I would stick with one rot he other and do a lot of shooting to get familiar with your equipment. Practice loading your encore, you'll be surprised how fast you can get.

The 200 accubond will give you a serious amount more punch than the 308 with a 165 and if you get a longer shot the 300 could make the difference between a walk off and a dead bull. I haven't shot many elk but they are incredibly tough. Shot one right in the boiler room with a Berger 190 300 win mag and he soaked it up and ran off. Crazy blood trail and found him about 75 yards away. The lungs looked like bad jello and the heart was gone.

Shoot the biggest caliber you can shoot accurately.

I can't hardly remember the last time I loaded a round from the mag while elk hunting, I've gotten so quick bringing a round of my stock pack that I find no use for the mag on a bolt gun.
I shot a contender pistol years ago and I felt zero handy cap with it as a single shot, send the bigger pill is what I say!!

Thank you for all the responses. The outfitter said most of the shots are in the <150 yard category and the tops out at 300 yards.

Operative word - most.

Mine probably would have said that too, but I took mine at about 450 yards in Nov 2012. Thankfully lots of time in the field practicing paid off.

I'd go with the 300 if it were me, but as I always take a backup rifle have the 308 along just in case.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.