Encore buttstock length question.

AJ Peacock

Here in southern Michigan, firearms for deer hunting are limited to Muzzleloaders, shotguns and pistols shooting straightwall cartridges.

I've been hunting with a Encore - 16" barrel 357Maximum for several years and it does a fantastic job out to a bit over 100yds.

An older friend of mine was interested in maybe going the same route and shot my pistol the other day. He really liked it, but has arthritis in his hands and the recoil hurt his hands/wrist.

I checked on the definition of pistol and it appears that the state of michigan regards firearms under 26" in total length as pistols (excluding curios/relics etc.).

We were wondering what length barrel could be used on an Encore that had a buttstock on it (what is the default length of pull?) and still keep it under 26" in length?

Anyway, I need to verify all this with the Division of Natural Resources. But my friend is sure interested in getting an Encore pistol and then putting a buttstock on it if all this adheres to the myriad of rules here in Michigan.

If anyone knows the LOP of an Encore with a particular buttstock, I can figure the rest, as I have an Encore pistol that I can measure from the trigger forward to figure out the length of barrel that will work.

Thanks,
AJ

AJ , I have a encore 209 muzzle loader. it is the camo / stainless . it is NOT the newer comfort stock . the LOP is 14 inches . hope this helps . Jim

26.250 inches is exactly at the front sling swivel on this gun . this is not altered in any way .

Last edited:
Thanks Jim,

I found out that most Encore stocks are 14 3/4" LOP, but there is a 'Bantam' stock that is only 13", I think with that stock and a 12" barrel he would be golden. With a 12" barrel, he should get 2150fps with a 140gr Hornady XTP. Should be a nice deer 'pistol'. I have a 14" barrel and get nearly 2300fps with the same bullet.

Thanks again,
AJ

Sambo3006,

Thanks for the link. It looks like just adding a buttstock to a short barrelled pistol makes it a short barreled rifle which is illegal. Doesn't make logical sense, but even having a BATF doesn't make a lot of sense to me anyway.

I wish that any firearm that started out as a pistol would stay a pistol regardless of it's configuration if it was always under 26", that would make more sense to me.

Thanks again,
AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.