encore 7mm 08

Is this 7-08 pistol?Hunlee was thinking it was pistol not rifle?Maybe hunlee got this confused some,not know for sure but confusion come from time to time.If 7-08 Encore is pistol maybe hunlee wood be happy to buy pistol setup.Please clear up this confusion for hunlee and other people

hunlee

If deal were made between us how much would hunlee be paying for Encore pistol 7-08?Maybe 7-08 would be grate caliber for a long ranger.Maybe scrap hole idea of long ranger for Contender?maybe price of Encore for hunlee to think about?Interest very high rite now for encore

hunlee

You have a lot more chamber possibilities with the Encore than the Contender. The 7-08 was the first XP I owned. great for deer and antelope.

redbone,

Are you buying it? I shot my short t/c (16.5 barrel) 7mm-08 today. What fun. I shot some factory ammo and it really did quite well at 100 yards. I will mess with a little more and then get some hand loaded. If you get it I think you too will like it.

How do you get barrle that 16.5 inch in 7-08?Maybe from custom company?hunlee thinking long barrel is good for long ranger.Do you feel speed is much higher with 16.5 over 15 inch?Rifle barrel give high speed over pistol but hunlee think they must be break out somewhere?But hunlee not no where that be?

hunlee

Most custom TC barrel makers, allow yuo to choose options like barrel length. Longer barrels cost more money.
You can guesstimate about 40 fps per inch of barrel.

Not even checkout lenght of barrel when hunlee go to custom barrel maker web site butt now will return to see price of barrel at 14-15-16 an maybe more lenght.Long barrel generate high bullet speed but more weight for hunlee to carry on the hunt

hunlee

The 14-15 inch barrels allow most TC barrel makers to use one rifle blank for two handgun different barrels. When you have the 16" or longer barrel then the longer it is the less likley the barrel maker can use the leftovers, so you will likely be charged for a rifle blank price.

Hunlee,

I just had the gunsmith cut a 24" rifle barrel to 16.5". I had him move the sight to the new length and re-crown the barrel. I had it done in 16.5 so it was still a legal rifle. I did not have it done for extra speed or anything like that I just wanted a short legal rifle. If I had been thinking I would have made it 18" to have a little more length. I was just looking for a short rifle as a truck gun. I have only shot it a little so I don't really have any feedback one way or another. I can tell you its really fun to shoot and have a short short rifle. I am sure I will put it in the truck once and awhile and take it when I go for ATV rides and things like that. Like I always say you never know when you need a rifle.

Thankyou for input about long barrel for pistol or short barrel for rifle,hunlee really happy to read about these things.Now that Monday is here hunlee will visit custom barrel maker web site to get phone number again,once hunlee do that phone call will be made to them asking about long barrel for pistol.Maybe hunlee can talk to J.B. Jones again about these special made barrel for a long ranger

thanyou again
hunlee

hunlee,
Just so you know, it is J.D. Jones (SSK Industries). JD makes good stuff.
I imagine price wise that MGM will have same product @ lower prices and will have the same quality IMO.
If LR handgunning including deer is your goal, I would encourage you to consider the MOA Maximum, Encore, or a bolt specialty pistol.

Although the 308 family of cartridges do okay for most general hunting, I would recommend cartrdiges based off of the 284 Win or 30-06 families for extending shots.
Next step after that is the SAUM's & the WSM's.
I do not recommend the SAUM's & or WSM's in the Encore though.

XP I see picture of MOA befor an it very nice.One wood bet MOA pistol cost alot of money but hunlee only has alittle money but after time hunlee may have alot though.

hunlee

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.