EMERGENCY! Be Prepared!

Tank,
Great thread!!! It should be read by all the members of this forum.
You are 100% right, everyone out there should know at least basic CPR, that can help save some lives when its needed. It is probably a good idea for guys that hunt in groups to get organized and take the CPR courses and First Aid courses together as a group.
I am a doctor, properly certified in advanced trauma life support, advanced cardiac life support, and as a a General Surgeon, and Plastic Surgeon I know how to deal with almost every injury out there, but you got me thinking: what if the injured one is me???
I dont know if my buddies will be able to help me!!!
Good point you made there. We need to be ready for it.
Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Nitro is good if it is prescribed to the person. If they don't have a prescription give them baby asprin. Chew them up and let them absorb.

Unfortunately with Nitro a vasodialator you better ask if they are on any other medicine(little blue pill) or else it can be fatal. I don't rec. unless it is their own prescription.

I agree that all should have training. You never know when you will need it. Not just training either, you can go to a class for cpr and in two months you won't remember if it is 30 compressions and two breathes or what. The best way to be prepared it join a ambulance or if like me your work has a Emergency Response Team. You won't remeber everything the first time. But with experience comes ability.

Trust me it isn't for everyone, but when someone is at their lowest they know you are there to help.

Lead by example

Brent

Not sure where to share this, but this forum receives the most traffic. It was a fine day in the PA woods this weekend for a day at camp. All were working hard collecting and cutting firewood for the year. All of a sudden one of the senior members asks if anyone is attending to his younger brother (60yrs of age). We all stopped and looked at each other wondering what was going on. He said his brother was in bad shape.

Let's rewind 5yrs. to the week of the younger brothers retirement from the fish commission. In the first week of his retirement he suffered a heart attack. Fast forward to this past Saturday.

I walk in and see him lying on the couch in obvious pain. His pulse was very high for an at rest position and asking that we hurry the ambulance up. I just kept an eye on him and read to administer CPR if need be. I came to find out that I was the only with any kind of medical emergency training due to my current position of a residential counselor for mentally handicapped and mentally retarded adult of varying age. Cardiac arrest is a very real problem in the age group that I work with. I will also say that I was fortunate to be chosen when in the military to be a battlefield aid to the medic in case of mass casualty. I immediately took his pulse, and administered nitro another individual had on hand. We were able to transport him to the ambulance out of the woods and at the main road.

It's amazing how quickly that training comes back. But the real emphasis I want to convey is being prepared. Luckily another victim of a heart attack of 10yrs ago, had his nitro with him. The current victim had some, but was 4yrs out of date.

Men we need to be prepared for any casualty that we may encounter in the woods. It came to my attention that we need to do some of the following to maintain our preparedness:

1. Make sure you have a designated area to be able to use your cell phones in case of an emergency. It is merely a paper weight if you have no signal. Luckily they knew at the end of the lane they could get signal and call for an ambulance.
  2. Get trained in basic first aid and CPR. This could save the life of a friend, or a relative in case of a bad accident such as broken limbs, head injuries, shock, heat related injury (heat exhaustion, heat stroke), cold related injury (frost bite, hypothermia) or heart related issues.
  3. If at all possible, make sure you are hunting with other people that can administer aid, and or help you in case of an emergency.
  4. Make sure that you keep track of everything that you do to aid the victim. Keep track of times that any meds were administered (insulin, nitro, aspirin, epy pens). It is important that you relay a time frame of initial injury, and all aid rendered to the paramedics so that they do not administer anything that may injure or kill the victim you are trying to save.
Following these steps will help to save your life, a life of a buddy, or like this weekend, a life long friend. Take care gentlemen and be careful. We are involved in a sport that the likely hood of being injured is very high.

If you could keep my friend in your prayers, he is going under the knife this afternoon at 2pm. He will be receiving a double or triple bypass heart surgery. They want to do a quadruple, but the doctors don't feel his body will be able to handle that much abuse under his current physical state.

Our actions, working together as a cohesive team saved my friends life. I am very proud of everyone of the men that acted accordingly to this stressful and very scary situation.

Thanks,
Tank
Thanks Tank, I will be praying for your friend. Something for all of us to think about for sure....Rich

Got a call from one of the guys that was there and is a close friend to the victim. Our friend made it through surgery. He had a quadruple bypass completed and made it through without incident. The doctor is very pleases with the work and how he is doing. They did find that there was irreparable damage to his heart.

All and all, he is doing better and has much better blood flow. All are grateful for your prayers and thought. Thank you for the support guys.

Blessings,
Tank

Just wanted to give an update and bump this thread. My buddy is doing very well considering the circumstances. Its been about month since that lovely day in PA woods. He is home now after 19 days in the hospital. There was some concern he might loose his left foot because of poor circulation, but they were able to get it back and he is healing well.

Take care and be safe boys,
Tank

Good thread and good job Tank! Not only know what to do if you see a heart attack, learn the symptoms of one because many heart attack sufferers don't deny that it's actually a heart attack. It might be up to you to make the call for them since many times they wait too long to make the call.

Being out here in the sticks though, I don't even know what the heck a "Deer camp" is. I've heard of them but never really seen one. I guess that's where city guys go to hunt. LoL I'm not kidding, don't even know where they have those things!

Anyway, on to my main point. I stopped by my folks place one afternoon in November a few years back and Dads Suburban was gone. Mom was cooking spaghetti and asked if I was staying around to eat. Of course I said I would and I started to take off my coat. As I did, I asked where the "old man" was and Mom said that he took his shotgun and left. Probably goose hunting. I was looking out the window and thinking how it might be a good day to go out and blast a goose before dark. It was about 15 degrees and the lakes would be freezing up soon. I knew where he would most likely be, so I fired up my old Jeep and headed out to where I thought I might find him. Well, I found him laying in the ditch. He had suffered a stroke and couldn't even get up. It was very lucky that I went looking for him since it was cold enough that he would had died in short order. I picked him up and carried him to his Suburban then grabbed his shotgun and stuff and headed for the nearest hospital.
He recovered from that stroke to hunt again but he didn't go out by himself after that. I always went with him. I miss him now though.

It can happen to any of us and Tank makes a great point. Be prepared! I carry some baby aspirins in my outfit all the time just in case me or someone I run across is starting to have a heart attack. Not a lot you can do for a stroke but get them to a hospital fast.

Tom
can someone tell me what a "deer camp" is?

can someone tell me what a "deer camp" is?

A deer camp is a cabin in the middle of the woods, generally 20min to 2hrs from your place of residence. Source of light is generally gas operation or some camps have generators to power normal light sources. Usually there are bunk beds or twin beds shared by all members upstairs. Down stairs is the living areas (usually couches, liquor table, poker table, and dinner table with a kitchen. Facilities for taking care of #2 involve an out house. The urinal is the closest tree or off the front porch if its colder than you know what. Camps are generally heated by wood stoves, and have a ton of history with deer horns on every wall, memorabilia , and nudy mags at the bottom of the pile game news or outdoor life. Usually fun is had by all, money is lost and made at the poker table and there is always the belligerent drunk jerk that is never invited again. LOL!!!:D

Times of visitation are: 1. Getting away from the old lady and kids, 2. Just getting away from the old lady, 3. Having a man's weekend out with buddies from childhood who have been around since you can remember attending the camp, 4. In my case going to the Bi-annual muzzle loader rendezvous, 5. Deer season, Bear Season, and wood cutting weekend.

Tank

Last edited:
Thanks Tank, I've always just drove out somewhere and went hunting. That sounds like a lot of fun though, especially the belig...billleg...beligg...really drunk guy. Are strippers invited to deer camp? Because that would be wrong! :D

Sorry, I think we hi-jacked the thread.

Tom :cool:

Tank...I'm glad your friend is doing ok and good job to all of you. I have a LOT of heart problems in my family including uncles and cousins dying from 38 to 44 years old. I'm still doing fine at 63 PRAISE THE LORD, I guess I'm too mean for him to want me yet:D......Rich

Another source for First Aid & CPR training could be your local Jr. College. My local JC has courses from basic First Aid to EMT Certification. All courses are available at night.

Great Thread.

Southpaw

Tank,
Great to know your buddy is doing OK!!!
Keep us posted on his progress. Thanks again for the thread, these are the threads where we learn good things for us.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.