Embarrassing Situation

dok7mm

The humor thread has been sort of drying up lately, so I'll offer a humorous, but true story.

About 30 years ago on a high Mesa in Colorado, a hunting buddy and I were walking out adjacent ridges near the rim in the middle of the day. We were jumping enough non-shooters to keep us interested. Finally, it nearly paid off when I saw three bucks sneaking ahead of my friend. All were nice, but the best was a solid 170+ typical. I moved to a good opening and sat down for a knee stabilized shot. It was a perfect situation, when they stopped 200 yds. from me. I never pulled the trigger on what would have been my best buck, at that time. I just froze.

I just sat there frozen, until my buddy crossed over to my ridge and helped me to my feet. I was in extreme pain because I had plopped down into a bunch of that treacherous, nasty low growing cactus. I don't know what the real name is, but in Texas, we call it "dog pear". My lower legs and butt were covered in the stuff. My friend flipped a lot of the big chunks off with a knife blade, but the splines were bedded deep in my derriere. It was a very painful mile or so back to where the truck was parked. Then I was forced to ride in the bed of the truck, lying on my side, back to our camp.

Once back in camp, I finally got my jeans down and leaned on the tailgate while my friend used a Leatherman tool to extract several hundred spines from my butt and legs.

So, I'm leaning on the truck, cussing up a storm with every jerk of the pliers.
My buddy is on his knees now, removing the lower ones, when we hear "Smile, you're on candid camera". The game warden had snuck up on us, seems like they always do that, and was taking pictures of us in a rather strange posture.

The warden then got his first-aid kit out and proceded to help doctor me up. The bad part is those pictures are probably still floating around somewhere. Thank goodness it was before the internet and smart phones were invented, or you all would be viewing my bloody butt.

THE BATHROOM TREE:

Had a hunting camp on the south facing side of the Brooks Range here in Alaska for 10 years during the 90's. Black bears and grizzly bears are so prevalent that there were free tags for black bears and grizzly tags were only $25 each. Then there was a 5 caribou a DAY limit, any size bull moose limit one and up to 2 wolves. So it was a 5 species hunt.

Every year I'd take family and/or employees with me to hunt camp. We'd usually go off in pairs or singles in different directions to hunt each day. During one year a guy with me came back to camp the first evening and said he'd seen 6 grizz bears that very first day. So I implemented the ole "gotta hang our food in the tree's" safe guard.

He came back the next evening saying he'd seen 3 more grizz bears that day. I'm at this point trying to convince him that maybe he'd seen the same couple of bears several times and not 9 different grizz bears. But he was certain that it'd been 9 different bears. All within a couple miles of camp.

Next evening he comes in and swears he saw 5 more grizz bears. So, at this point, the other 3 guys, as well as myself, are giving him a very hard time adn a lot of grief over his claims. There's NO WAY that there's 14 DIFFERENT grizz bears in this 2-3 square mile area. He defends himself but the odds are against him adn we yuck it up at him for quite a while.

So we eventually head to our tents for sleep. I decide I'd better go find the "bathroom" tree before I go to sleep. Got my flashlight and the ever needed toilet paper, I find the bathroom tree, bend down and lean my back against said bathroom tree. After a minute I notice the flashlight lights up this HUGE pile of bear scat. Right there, next to my left boot. A huge pile of scat. Like an idiot I didn't take my 44 magnum nor rifle with me to the bathroom tree. I should of listened to bear guy cause he was right. There's bears EVERYWHERE around camp...What am I gonna do...? All this goes through my mind in a few seconds while I'm trying to finish my business with the bathroom tree, and get back to my rifle. Then I hear the wolfing/snorting noise of a bear, just behind me, in the alders, a few feet away. Its startles me to the point that I try to stand up straight but I get all twisted up in my britches. Which trips my against said bathroom tree and I slide right down said bathroom tree into my own pile of scat.

The next thing I see is a flashlight shining in my face from the direction of the bear. Do bears carry flashlights...? What is going on...? I'm flailing trying to get away form said bathroom tree and there's a bear shining a flashlight in my face. Now all of a sudden the bear starts to laugh. Do bears that carry flashlights also laugh as well...? What IS GOING ON I'm thinking....!!! Is there a jovial bear with a flashlight laughing at me and getting ready to maul me at the foot of the bathroom tree....?!!??!

Finally, as the flashlight gets closer, and I'm now up on my knees trying to get my britches up, I realize it's bear guy. And he says "I told you there were a lot of bears around here."

Needless to say taking a bath in 36 degree glacier river water at 10pm at night in late September in the Arctic was a great life lesson learning opportunity =-) When someone tells you there's lots of bears around camp, just pretend that he's telling the truth.....

That's a good one Norseman, bet you never took that fella again!
Several years ago I had a somewhat similar experience, just not with bears.:oops: Had a case of the of the Baghdad squirts while in the gun turret of a HMMWV (hummer). Couldn't get the truck stopped, out of the vehicle and then out of my gear fast enough. When we came to a screeching halt (and I jumped off the top and started stripping down) our LT called on the radio "What the hell is going on up there?!". The answer was "----- just crapped his pants!". So I just stripped down booty-butt naked, on the side of the road, in broad daylight, in front of all the locals, where gunfire and IEDs were the norm, and took a water can bath. Then pulled out my pack and put on a clean uniform. But to make matters worse my boots were no longer "serviceable" so to speak, so I finished the patrol in my shower shoes (aka flip-flops).
I'm sure I left them with a good impression of Americans.:rolleyes:

I can just imagine you on the side of the road butt naked with iraqies pointing and laughing :):) But to be honest it could have been anyone of us in your place as well. THANKS YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE SOLDIER!!!!!!!!
ODAVID

"I just sat there frozen, until my buddy crossed over to my ridge and helped me to my feet. I was in extreme pain because I had plopped down into a bunch of that treacherous, nasty low growing cactus. I don't know what the real name is, but in Texas, we call it "dog pear". My lower legs and butt were covered in the stuff. "

HEY dok7mm, I believe the actual name is "PRICKELY PEAR CATUS". Acutually makes a great soup if you remove the needles :). I learned that in USAF SURVIVAL SCHOOL.

My first encounter with "Prickley pear catus" ,was crawling up on about 20 bedded antelope with the wind blewing about 40 mph on the Montana prairie as a punk kid of 15yr old. I got my "goat" antelope and several spines over the front of my body including you know where. I call that determination and education the hard way:(
ODAVID.

Sorry, but it's not even close to prickly pear cactus. I've been around prickly pear all my life. It has a large round flat leaf-like pad.

My run-in was with "dog pear" aka dog cactus, dog cholla or Clavellina. True name is Opuntia schottii Engelm. It grows in a mat on the ground, rarely over 4-5" high. The stems are about the size of a small pickle and break off very easily. The stems are only 1-2" long, but are covered with many nasty 2" spines. FYI

This is an example, usually grows a lot closer to ground. dog-cactus-dog-cholla_66_041405-042.jpg

morning, here in the south TX. we call this flower catus (gotcha). seems
like the plant needles jumps to the receiver. TUM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.