ELR? Elk

Whitesheep, Yes, Bravo 4 is the real deal. He is a good friend, and a great shot. If he says he shot an elk at whatever yards you can take it to the bank!!

Good shooting buddy, congrats and thanks for telling the story!!

Cool Beans!

I am off for on an Elk hunt next week here in AZ, but I will NOT be shooting 1000 yards. My personal limit is 300 given the lack of practice and other excuses. I once was confident out to 500 when preparing for an AK sheep hunt, but no longer.

Thank you again for the great story and keep up the practice if you can afford the time.

I am hoping that my photo will show up this time. I'm still a new user. My home made PSL/ Dragunov that shoots a 7.62x54r Bullets. I would like to know if this rifle is capable of shooting long range. I do know that the original Dragunov was a Sniper Rifle capable of shooting long distance. I have a 9-14x50 Nikon Scope and have not tried shooting it at a long range, due to a motorcycle accident that i had a few months back. Where can I go around here in Layton, Utah to shoot long range with out getting in trouble ?

Attachments

• PIC_0364.jpg
    PIC_0364.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 16
I am hoping that my photo will show up this time. I'm still a new user. My home made PSL/ Dragunov that shoots a 7.62x54r Bullets. I would like to know if this rifle is capable of shooting long range. I do know that the original Dragunov was a Sniper Rifle capable of shooting long distance. I have a 9-14x50 Nikon Scope and have not tried shooting it at a long range, due to a motorcycle accident that i had a few months back. Where can I go around here in Layton, Utah to shoot long range with out getting in trouble ?

The only way to find out is to try. The 7.62X54 is similar in power to a .308 Win in my understanding, but since it does have additional case capacity, you should be able to hand load an effective round of similar capability, if not a little more. Be sure you know how much energy is remaining at the distances you intend to shoot if this is a hunting application.

I've shot and spotted behind several Dragunov and clones, they were all decent shooters. It's ballistically around .308/30-06 level except I think it fires .312 bullets. Not bad for a design that's been around since the 60's and fires a round that's over 100 years old.

Nice shot Bravo. I've been practicing all year for just such a shot, but a back injury and upcoming surgery has kept me from hunting at all.

Thank you sir, for your service to our country.

Nice shot Bravo. I've been practicing all year for just such a shot, but a back injury and upcoming surgery has kept me from hunting at all.

Thank you sir, for your service to our country.

Well that just sucks Brad, I was right up the road from you. I would have been happy to have helped you hunt and would have done all the work. Good luck to ya, I'll send up a prayer. I know how a spinal surgery can be, earlier this year I had a plate and 4 screws put in my neck.

Thanks Bravo. I am getting titanium rods, stainless screws, and a couple of fusions in January.
My light weight elk rifle is a Kirby Allen. I was shooting it at 842 yards yesterday. Sub-MOA, even with me behind the wheel.
That guy can build a rifle.

Thanks Bravo. I am getting titanium rods, stainless screws, and a couple of fusions in January.
My light weight elk rifle is a Kirby Allen. I was shooting it at 842 yards yesterday. Sub-MOA, even with me behind the wheel.
That guy can build a rifle.

Been there with the fusions, I went with a plate because they told me the rod would make for less range of motion for my head.
Kirby sure can build them and a great guy to talk with. Too bad he is so backed up that he couldn't do the work on a rifle I'm rebarreling to an odd wildcat. He would be my first choice.

Good account, good shooting, and you sound to me like a good guy; I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.