ELR? Elk

1st picture is my .338 Edge, lets just say that it's not only customized but personalized as well. So ugly only a Sniper could love it.

Attachments

• .338 Edge.JPG 2.jpg
    .338 Edge.JPG 2.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 16
  • rifle,rack,******.jpg
    rifle,rack,******.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 26
Bravo 4 - Congrats.

I hunted 3rd here in CO and also got my bull but it was only a chipshot compared to yours (622 yds) - that is awesome on yours. I was hunting solo so that meant a solo pack out. I agree - just boning out the beast is enough to kill you. I tend to be sweating and half-exhausted just getting ready to pack...it's hard work, especially if you are bent over skinning and cutting. Its definitely a part guys don't think about and a time when helpers is a bonus.

I also just wanted point out there is a happy medium between what you experienced and paying a few grand to get hauled in. If you want to and have the money, go for it, but if you haven't hunted CO much, you just need to change to a different area. In many places, there are millions of acres of Nat. Forest and BLM and getting away from the crowds often just takes a 10-20 minute walk up a hill or over a ridge, especially if you can get a ways of a 4WD road. From what I see 3rd is usually not as busy as 2nd (in my area), but almost all camps are down low where they can park a trailer. I go 45 min up a 4wd road, and I'm usually miles from the closest camp (or at most one or two others are within a few miles). I had elk feeding in the meadow with my tent every night this year - spooked them when I went out to take a leak. From there, just about a 10 min walk away from roads will get you somewhere that will in many cases never see a hunter all season. Just want you to know with literally millions of acres of public land - it's not all like what you saw. I almost never see another hunter in the woods...just lots of road hunters and losers breaking the law riding quads in places they shouldn't be (outta staters 90% of the time...sorry).

Congrats again.

Bravo4, nice rifle, thanks for posting a pic. Also, you don't need to ride the horse, you could just train him to pack stuff out, which would be a bit easier. However, it is nice to ride and you could get way into the forest, off the beaten path! He/she looks to be a good strong horse that would be good for hunting.

Bravo4, First thank you for your service. Very nice bull, and **** good shooting. Enjoyed the story, I could tell you a story about CQ that you would never beleive. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and again congratulations on your bull. Tell your buddy to start hittin the stair master he's got a year.lol:D

Rick

This was an awesome read. Great job!!! At 53 I don't think I could do that type of a trip. I surely am not it that kind of shape after my motorcycle accident. Still recovering from severe whiplash. But, i will definately work my way back to the gym as soon as i am ready.
May God Bless you all.
Rick

I am just wondering if i am able to shoot long range with my custom made PSL that shoots 7.62x54R bullets ??
PIC_0364.JPG

Way to go Bravo 4. At first I was going to call BS, but seeing your rig and reading your notes, you must be for real. What kind of practice time (and where) did you put in to pull this off and why did you use a Match King instead of a Game King?

Aspenbugle has a good point. My #1 most successful Elk hunting strategy has been to find out where the roads aren't and go there.lightbulb Now that AZ has shut many of the old mining and logging roads in my unit, I expect these to be more plentiful. :D

The quad guys did themselves in by BUZZING all the logging roads during the hunt all day. I know it is the few who ruined it for the many. But honestly, how often have you seen a quad parked in the woods with no hunter near by?

I understand why you are hesitant to believe a lot of stories. I usually try to pick their brains a little to see if the person knows what they are talking about before I pass judgement. Even then i wouldn't call them out. I'll PM you my résumé, :D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.