ELK vs MOOSE . . . Who needs a bigger gun/bullet

I have killed quite a few of both and my experience is about the same as the others. I only shoot trophies so I am talking about the large older age class males of each. Moose do not have the tenacity for life as do elk. A moose will pretty much lay down and die if not disturbed where an elk many times will not stop until he physically can not move. I would feel fine shooting a moose with a much smaller rifle than an elk. With an elk you need a big rifle to put him down for good. Sure a high shoulder shot with either and they go right down so I am talking about other hits and shot angles most hunters encounter.

I like the question if elk had the temperament and artillery of a grizzly. I think I would hunt where there were no elk. I don't think you could stop a big bull at close range before you were dead unless you physically broke him down. A shot to the brain or spine.

Most guys elk hunt in Colorado where there are over the counter tags and kill young 2-3 year old bulls just after they become legal. Way different than shooting large old bulls in other states. A large seven plus year old bull is a tough sob with a marginal shot in him.

Id be interested to here what some of the members here who have hunted in Africa what they have to say about Rhino...Id would think they are some tough SOBS more so than Elk.

I have killed quite a few of both and my experience is about the same as the others. I only shoot trophies so I am talking about the large older age class males of each. Moose do not have the tenacity for life as do elk. A moose will pretty much lay down and die if not disturbed where an elk many times will not stop until he physically can not move. I would feel fine shooting a moose with a much smaller rifle than an elk. With an elk you need a big rifle to put him down for good. Sure a high shoulder shot with either and they go right down so I am talking about other hits and shot angles most hunters encounter.

I like the question if elk had the temperament and artillery of a grizzly. I think I would hunt where there were no elk. I don't think you could stop a big bull at close range before you were dead unless you physically broke him down. A shot to the brain or spine.

Most guys elk hunt in Colorado where there are over the counter tags and kill young 2-3 year old bulls just after they become legal. Way different than shooting large old bulls in other states. A large seven plus year old bull is a tough sob with a marginal shot in him.

I've been around moose all of my adult life and I've shot a bunch of them and studied them a bit. I used to think that moose were easy to kill compared to other animals, especially caribou. I now think that it isn't so much that they are easier to kill as it is with how both of those animals deal with predators. Moose can be found in dense forests but that isn't their favored habitat, since they are browsers they can often be found in brushy areas and one of their defense mechanisms is hiding and they are quite adept at it. Caribou on the other hand are movers and they will try to get away from their pursuers. Moose when shot, sensing they are in serious trouble will try to hide instead of run unless they can see the source of their problems as a close and immediate threat. I don't like to damage any more meat than necessary and if I take out the lungs and just sit tight the moose will lay down and die. I have seen moose hit with a lethal shot and then watched as excited hunters have spooked a moose into action and then it was game on. I can't comment on elk since I have never had the pleasure of hunting elk. As far as being tenacious I think that moose, especially Alaska/Yukon moose that have to survive among some of the largest predators that walk planet and packs of large wolves just deal with threats a little different than some of their cousiins. In short if you are hunting moose and get a good shot on one, as long as it doesn't run, give it time to expire don't expose yourself too soon.

Gus

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.