Elk Ridge Custom laminate stocks

I've used a couple of thier stocks. I prefer the richards microfit stocks because they are a little smoother to start with. Same sort of stocks just a little more work with Elk Ridge. No experience with the reamer side of the house.

300H&H,

I have exactly three dealings with Elk Ridge, two with reamer rentals or attemped reamer rentals I should say and one situation with a stock.

As far as reamer rentals go, I would avoid them at all cost. I placed two reamer orders with them and was told they would be shipped within 10 days, in both cases I waited two weeks and called to see where the reamer was, said they would be shipped out ASAP, another week and nothing and a returned call. Same reply, that they would be shipped ASAP.

Waited another week, no show and called back, first time they said that they had not gotten the reamer back from the previous rental???? THen how could it have been ready to ship three times ASAP I asked, no reply!!!

Second time they said reamer was off for resharpening and would be ready in 4-5 weeks. Again, how could it be ready to ship ASAP three times and then need sharpening.

First goof up I will give to any company as just part of things happening, second time was my fault to let them screw me a second time.

Situation with their stock, ordered a heavy BR model with 14.5" LOP, standard straight grip, solid 3" wide flat forend with rounded tip on forend and for a Rem 700 LA.

When the stock came in, it was the right color and that was it. We got a 13" LOP, thumbhole, vented forend finished square and to top it all off it was inletted for a Rem 700 short action. Again, only thing that was correct was the color we ordered.

It was obvious the wrong stock had been shipped to us so I called them up and she flat out told me that we got the stock we ordered so I had to do some major digging to fine a copy of the original e-mail reply from them that had our order specs and I called back and told her that.

Her reply was that since it was a custom order stock she would not be able to refund the money on that stock. **** near dropped the phone on that one.

Needless to say I hung up before I got a bit unprofessional.

Simply put, I will never even consider ordering from them again.

TO be fair, I was told that the lady that owns the business was going through a nasty divorce at the time and the business was really being run badly at that time. That may be but I will never give them a fourth chance to give me more grey hair.

This all occured about 2 years back so things may be different now.

Kirby Allen(50)

FD

I am sorry to hear that on the reamers.

I have had nothing but good dealings with them. Even when I needed a different floating pilot diameter, they got it to me right away.

Is there somewhere else that one can rent reamers?

I personaly don't think that renting a reamer is a good idea but I could be wrong. I know guys that have rented reamers and I'll tell you that I won't even let these guys borrow my drill bits!!! let alone a reamer , its just to hard to know what your gonna be getting if it has been abused or if its the correct shape that you want and so on.

As for the stocks I got one 6 yrs ago , laminated Wildcat , and it showed up just as I had ordered it but their was alot more fitting and finishing that what i expected but the end result was great the customer was very happy. I have not heard any more good results in the past few years so I'm not sure about them now.

Joel Russo makes some fine sticks and in a wide varity of colors , Thats who I'll be using from now on.

Mr. Jones:

You are certainly correct. It is a little risky renting them.

But I have purchased reamers that I cut fine, but I was not too crazy about the results of the finished product. And then I'm stuck with the reamer (a particular 22-250 finishing reamer from a very reputable manufacturer comes to mind).

So far, my experiences with rented reamers have been good. So, I probably will keep on keepin' on.

I do appreciate your comments nonetheless.

Thanks guys for the info. I was considering the Wildcat, but I think I will just get the A-5 instead.
Stacy

The A5-L that Joel makes is realy nice and the grip area is aot more user friendly than a thumbhole when it comes to getting the safety off and such.
I personaly love the A5 desgine and with the mood its easier to modify to fit you hand.

I haven't got it yet , lord knows how long shipping can take down here , but I have a new adjustable comb setup that I'm gonna try on this stock.
308Nate is building me a 260 thats going to go in it ,I may try for a 1000yd shot at a varmint this year with that gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts