Elk hunting unit 231. Tips?

Hey GearGrinder, I just Drew a Bull tag for 231 and I could use all the tips I can get about the area, I have never hunted this area before, looking foward to doing a lot of scouting frist.

We've had very good luck with cow up on the North end just off the Geyser ranch. Down south we've also had good luck off of the big Atlanta ranch and Mt. Wilson.

I'm going elk hunting in unit 231. We are going to draw for the first rifle season. None of the group of 4 has ever killed an elk or even seen one. So success to us would be to take a cow or smaller bull. Does anyone know this area? Any tips on where to camp or hunt in the unit? Strategy? We'll have Atv's. Also, we don't mind hiking.
I archery hunted for mule deer there a few yeas ago so I am somewhat familiar with he unit.

did you draw unit 231 CO ???

Haven't been to unit 231 but have hunted elk. Here are a few tips for any new unit. You have already seen what google will do I use it also. Get a Forest Service Map draw your unit boundaries on it. Draw circles around all of the places where you can get a mile or more away from a road or ATV Trail. Sight your gun in before you get to the unit. You will probably only get one shot. Get high, get to the unit a few days early, get high before daybreak and glass. You all don't need to go to the same rock go to a different area. Do the same in the evening. Elk hunting starts a 0400 or so with a light breakfast and a long hike up hill in the dark. Stay in the shade keep the sun at your back and the wind in your nose. Sleep in the middle of the day stay out of big openings hunt /watch the edge of the timber. Hunt slow 1/4 mile per hour in the timber. The last hour or so spend glassing watching the edge of the heavy timber and a meadow or opening. Walk out in the dark , stay high. Back to camp a 1900 or so, up and at em at 0400 for a morning walk. Vary your locations don't hunt the same hillside day after day if you are not seeing elk, be mobile. If you spook elk give them at least two days to rest. When you are hunting carry the rifle in your hands not on your shoulder, shoot the first legal elk you see. Did I mention stay high and also have great binos, great boots and be able to hick at 9,000 feet.
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In heavy hunting area, I often seen more elk during rough weather cause the human scents are wiped away, gun shots are silenced by the snow/rain, nearly all of the hunters are drinking coffee back at camp and not sure what the true reason is but some herds of elk just start to make big circles around mountains (maybe cause they're cramped up from hiding):D. Biggest challenge I dealt with is after wiping the glass down, make a shot before it fogs up again, even the leica BRF had a difficult time being visible. It was mostly from the body heat blowing a lot of moisture on to the glass. More adrenaline means more moisture! LOL

Congratulation on the drawing and good luck!

Last edited:
HI , I've hunted 231 in CO for 26 year and have taken elk every year most years two ,,, I'd be more that happy to give you some advice ,, not on
line give me a phone # and time to call

7 years old but want to revive a dead horse...

Got a cow tag in 231 early rifle. I am going to stay with BEN at the eagle valley camp sight... Anyone have places to get an elk???bringing my 8 year old so I do not want to hike to hard... I have my allen mag ready to go so I can reach out to touch a cow without trouble....:D:D

thanks

Mario

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.