elk hunting in pa

ann brezinski

has any one of you shot elk in pa?looking to try to draw a tag .I live in pa and know its hard to get.
gary b

Been applying since the beginning, maybe 13-14-15 years now, not even a sniff, it is not the same system as used out west... They don't take care of preference holders whatsoever..typical PGC bullcrapparoony

A member of our hunting group drew a tag. Hired a guide and was successful. I only see him during hunting season and I did not hunt the year he got it so I'm not up on all the particulars.

I forget the max number of points a guy can have accumulated now , but I'm one point shy of max . I keep playing the game with hope of drawing . I applied for either sex and any area for years . now that I have a bunch of points I've been applying for a bull tag in any area . I'd hate to use my points on a cow .

the last couple years I think they are giving about 100 licenses , with about 20000 applications . I wonder if I'm considered 1 applicant or 14? due to my points . I'd bet I'm counted as 1. which waters down the chance of draw even more .

Last edited:
I too have put in for a number of Years. I believe if you had 14 points going into the 2017 draw year, plus your application for 2017, that would put your name in the hat 15 times for the 2017 draw. I grew up in those woods, I apply Bull any zone.

I drew a bull tag in 04, I went the DIY route which resulted in a 407" 7x7 with 56" main beams and 51" wide. Now my family has a total of almost 60 points for the drawing. Doubt we will ever get drawn.

I drew a bull tag in 04, I went the DIY route which resulted in a 407" 7x7 with 56" main beams and 51" wide. Now my family has a total of almost 60 points for the drawing. Doubt we will ever get drawn.

Pictures?

Thanks guys, my story was published in 08-09ish in Bugle magazine. Put almost 5k miles on my truck scouting. I was drawn for the largest unit at the time and was the only bull tag for that unit. DIY and ton of show leather on the ground paid off.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.