Elk hunt almost turns to griz hunt

Parkerb14

Went to West yellowstone this weekend to arrow a elk, growing up there I know where they are and thought it would be my best oppertunity to arrow one for the first time. Got into quite a few elk the fist day but couldn't seal the deal. Next morning we parked at a spot where we could split up as my buddy drew a moose tag and is trying to fill that. Were getting ready to go and 2 bulls bugle down where he was going so we headed that way. We went to where we heard the bugles and didnt see anything so I called out and realized they had moved into the new growth pines (bout 10 ft tall). so we get into posistion for a stalk (nothing was coming in to the calls just answering them) and get into the new growth. Were with in 75 yds of where we heard the bugles so I have a arrow knocked and my release on the d loop. Heres where it gets intresting, I forgot my pistol in the truck I took it off when I went into the gas station. I hear this crashing in the trees 40 yards away and my first thought was its a moose because I can see brown and I realize its coming towards us. The griz rounds the tree where we can finally see that its no moose. I know my buddy has a pistol on him so I run around him and hes got the gun out. Thankfully, the griz decided to stop at 15 yards (lasered afterwards) and run away. We sat there for a few minutes not saying anything because we were speachless. After we gathered ourselves we continued to hunt and almost get the elk we were chasing after. First time ive ever been bluff charged, and probablly the most amazing expirence ive ever had in the woods. We hunted later that night and almost got a small 6. Only thing that coulda made this trip better would be filling the freezer.

There have been two griz attacks around West, and a dozen or so close encounters so if youre hunting around there be safe.

There sure has been a lot of encounters with grizz this year! We've been scouting for moose in the Gravelies and over to Ennis and I've kinda not wanted to get to far from some serious fire power, too many of the buggers!

These bears and wolves are the reason I took some defensive shooting classes, I figured that it does no good to pack a weapon if I just stand there and pee myself or lock up when it happens, now I can pull shoot and reload mighty fast and effective!

Biggreen, we hunted the gravelies later that evening got into a bunch of elk...theyll bugle back but wont come into anything. We stalked to the small 6 got to about 100 yards and he didnt have any cows with him so we cow called and he started running away and the wind was in our favor. Dont know if they have been getting pressured alot but we were about 5 miles in all up hill so they wernt too far in might have been pushed there...

And yes, I did fill my pants :)

Feenix, I did have my spray, but had it attached to my backpack which was a bad idea. After this It will always be on my belt loop close at hand.

Last edited:
@ Parkerb14...

I don't bow hunt but I call elk for all my buddies who do. This year I carried a rifle because of all the bear and wolf encounters that have been reported locally. We have had lots of elk that have come in either silent or returned calls and bugles either really quiet or with just a whistle and no chuckle.

Glad you got out of the griz situation alive!

Jay

I could spit 15 yards if I really had to. How in the world did your buddy NOT drop the hammer on a charging bear that got within 15 yards?? If the bear didn't turn you guys probably would have been a statistic. That's ugly.

Glad to hear that it all worked out. Surprised you didn't take up chess as a new hobby. :D

Wow...glad you guys are OK.

Does it seem to some here that our Pittman-Robertson and other like taxes and our license fees are supporting predator population expansion just a little too much...?

So far this year on our side of the park we have three dead and several mangled from the overpopulation of park bears that have no fear of humans because they have not been hunted. Generations of park bears spreading out into the adjascent national forests with no fear of people and accustomed to getting free meals from campers who can not fight back.

Holly crap.
I have not been charged by them but have seen a couple up close and personal while guiding fisherman and I don't think I could have kept my cool that well. Lead would be flying.
Is there a season for them or are they under protection from our liberal friends?
What happens if you shoot one if caught?
We have a problem with lions in the area I hunt. The ranchers have problems with the sheep and cattle losses and the Cal DFG does nothing about it. A close friend last week was leaving on vacation with his family and they were walking out the door around 4 am and his daughter saw a big tom in the front yard. They smelled heavy cat smell so they called DFG and were told the cat sightings and troubles are not even tracked, there are too many. This happened in a residential area in a city of over 100 thousand people.
California has too many lions and no hunting season. When large predators are not hunted there are serious problems.

Wow, glad that turned out well for you. I took the family to Yellowstone earlier this year, spent some time in West Yellowstone. We saw 1 grizzly at about 300 yards and that was close enough for us. It was some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.