Elk bugle calls

Okiehunter

I feel like I missed out on a couple of bulls this year because I didn't have a bugle call. Does anyone have one that they would recommend? Obviously looking for one that is the best balanced between ease of use and quality of sound. I appreciate your input.

My recommendation is to get a cow call instead. These days alot of bulls on public land are bugle call shy. I would recommend a good squeeze bulb cow call like the Primos "hoochie mama". I have used this call for several seasons with great success. I use a bugle in the early morning ( way before light 03:00-04:00 or so) to locate bulls. I use the cow call to pull bulls into bow range or to mask my movement toward the bull. Hope this helps.

Primos is probobly what you are after...

there are 2 vesions the larger one.. works great and the smaller one.. works great too.. they come with a casset tape to teach you how.. it'll take you 10 min to be able to bugle..

hoochie moma is great.. but most tend to over use it....

bugle to locate early am late day then use the cow call to bring em in..

most over bugle as well... so don't

I'll stop there.. I get paid to do it... can't give away the secrets... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks for the info. gentlemen, I just returned from a Colorado bowhunt and had some lifetime experiences. I had and used the hooche mama call. It worked on 2 occasions but the herd bull would not respond. I witnessed him defending his harem at 60 yds. Could not get a shot because I had 2 cows between he and I and a cow and a calf behind me. The cow and calf winded me after a few minutes (unbelievable how it can change so often and quickly) but didn't spook the others. The bull and rest of the cows exited the wrong direction to get a shot. Watching him thru glass I was able to see that he really got irritated at other bugles and would challenge. So that is why I feel that I need to add that call to my arsenal next year. Thanks again.

okiehunter,
a couple of things I would add to whats been said. If you bugle you should follow what Ric and Shawn said. In your case when the bull wouldn't come in. I would find myself a fairly hidden spot and start raking trees as if you were a bull rubbing on a tree. I've found that more often when your in tight on bulls they will come to this sound when a bugle will just have them gather up their cows and go the other way.. Also you'll want to add a "fighting cow" call to your arsenal. Carltons calls makes an Estrous whine. This works very good as well. Good luck

If I would have gotten here at this site a little sooner, I would have suggested that you try Abe & Sons. You can bugle, chuckle, cow call among other things. I have used this call for around ten years and it is a fantastic call. Just my two cents.

Hey guys, if you are really serious, get a reed call and learn how to use it with instruction tapes. Your hands are free, and you can bugle, cow call, cow in heat,calf call, spike bull, etc. all with the same call. Also, you can leave it tucked in the corner of your mouth and it will produce saliva to keep your mouth from getting dry! Takes more work & practice, but your call will be more realistic. Also, you can practice while in your car and listen to your tapes. You will get some very odd looks when stopped at intersections and bugling! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.