Elk backstrap ... it's what's for dinner!

FEENIX

0517141439_zps6d08b124.jpg

The fruit of my labor marinaded in blood orange olive oil and Thai ginger salt.

0517141856_zpsb1ffa9bc.jpg

The prize -- bloody rare elk drizzled with 18 year old balsamic vinegar and sriracha sauce, baby kale and spinach salad with vidalia sweet onion dressing topped with raspberry, brown rice, and of course red wine.

Im glad to see others sharing their recipes. We've eaten elk so long in my house that my kids think beef tastes weird. I have one full bull to eat every year, plus a deer or two.

Had wild caught halibut tonight. Delicious.

Thanks guys!

Elk is the only wild game meat that my wife eat these days. Since my sons (25 and 22) are out of the house, I have been donating most of my deer and antelope harvests.

Had some on ground elk on spaghetti sauce with spaghetti squash instead of pasta last night for dinner but forgot to share it. :)

She will however eat any game fish I bring home. :D

Looks excellent!

here's another recipe me and several of my hunting buddies all use from time to time.

put the following in a ziplock back with a few elk steaks, and let it marinade overnight:

1/2 cup whiskey
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper

Sometimes I add a diced Serrano pepper to kick it up a notch (and remove the tablespoon of pepper), If you don't like spicy heat, add a Pablano (mild) pepper, and cook over a wood fire or use woodchips. The pepper goes great with the smokey flavor.

And drink a stout or a porter with it :D

Im glad to see others sharing their recipes. We've eaten elk so long in my house that my kids think beef tastes weird. I have one full bull to eat every year, plus a deer or two.

Had wild caught halibut tonight. Delicious.

We are going camping this weekend, and we asked my older son (2.5 years old) what he wanted to eat, and he said "ELK MEAT!". Made me smile.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.