Elevation turrets and tape?

I do same as Cowboy, 200 zero , on a mil scope. I hike threw woods w/less than 50 yrd visability. My come up are same as my hold overs. But I have shot elk at 30 yrds bedded out to the same 850 on the mtn.

Interesting...I'd like to take the time to understand the way different folks use the mil-dots!
Lots of different ways depending on how you are trained and whether you have FFP or SFP.

I just use them to essentially form a grid and to estimate range and hold over/under nowadays and I've been successful to way beyond a thousand in doing so for lots of years.

I use the windage dots for lead and wind adjustments and on the fly I just use the lenth of the animal to guage distance and adjust by x number of body lengths.

For my long range rigs I set my hundred or two hundred yard zero at the top mil dot, and then shoot at known ranges counting down and make a mental or physical note how each rifle/load performs. Then when I know the range to the target without having to dope and dial I can put it on target in a matter of just a second or so (literally).

You can read up on "The Whiz Wheel" and "Mil Dot Master" to learn how to use them "properly".

I am hoping to do as yourself.This is my first all mil scope, but hunted w/mildot type for last 10+ years and like the benefits, my problem is different scopes on my rigs. Wish I had bucks to get all like units

I am hoping to do as yourself.This is my first all mil scope, but hunted w/mildot type for last 10+ years and like the benefits, my problem is different scopes on my rigs. Wish I had bucks to get all like units
I've spent most of my life with a laminated drop and windage card on the stock of every one of my rifles.

I can also draw a cross hair and mil dots on that card and show the approximate "dead Hold" for any range I'm willing to pull the trigger out to using this method.

I took a kid a few years ago who'd never made a shot with a rifle on anything live or inanimate at over 200yds, and after a few hours practice one afternoon he killed a doe at a measured 936yds.

I did the same thing with the husband of the CEO of CZUSA who was afraid to even shoot a rifle, and in an hour had him make 9 consecutive hits on a target at a measured 573 yards with their "Ultimate Hunting Rifle" combo. Hell we did that with cheap remington 300WM ammo too HA!

It's really not that hard to do once you simply learn the basics, have quality equipment, and a little faith in yourself with a voice in the back of your head saying "I can make this shot" instead of "there's no way in hell I can hit something that far away"... .

It's really quite doable with a little practice and an accurate rifle.

Bajaaa,

You are getting some good advice from Wild Rose on "mils" too. The military guys are trained on mils while most civilians end up using MOA since that is what most civilian hunting scopes are graduated in. One system is not better than the other, it is just what you get used to.

A buddy of mine who comes out and shoots with me is an active duty sniper trainer and a long range hunter and is able to do both. When he is out shooting with me we talk in moa......... minutes, but I know he is working in mils on the military side of his shooting.

A good example of what I was trying to get across in my previous email is when he and I were shooting at 1000 yards last week. We had a pretty good wind that kept shifting a full 180 degrees. One shot it would be blowing right to left, then it would switch left to right. On one shot I hit the post to one side of the gong, he called 1 minute right

Now if I were still dealing in inches and counting clicks he would have called 10 inches right. Then I have to stop and think........ 10" at 1000 yards??....... OK now.... at 1000 a click is how much?? oh yeah....... it's 2 1/2 inches so 2 1/2 and 2 1/2 is 5. 5 times 2 is 10........ Now I got it! I need 4 clicks!!!

Instead, thinking in MOA, 1 minute right....... I simply reach up and dial 1 moa left into my scope. No thinking, no fuss, done in about 2 seconds and ready to shoot again.

Thanks everyone I appreciate the advice!

Personally I'm getting to like the idea about what WildRose is saying in being able to use the Mi-Dot as a grid...I'm finding that quite appealing at the present time...I'll read up on that stuff more to try to get a basic layman's understanding...:)

I'm hoping he can walk me thru it as get some basics from some reads... lightbulb

I want to learn and could use a teacher...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.