Elevation adjustment?

Bosox

I am looking at putting a Leupold 6.5-20x40mm VXIII 1 inch tube ,,on my Sendro 300 Ultra mag shooting 180gr Accubonds,

My question is looking at the Leupold book it shows it has 50 MOA of adjustment is that enough???????

[ QUOTE ]
is that enough???????

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to sound like a dink but, enough for what????

500 yds.....yes

2000 yds....no

I'd put a 20 or 25 MOA base on it anyway, you'll still be able to get a zero at 100.

OOps , That does look dumb huh? Enough for say a 300 yard zero and able to shoot to 1000 as I learn, working my way out from 300.

See the delimia is I am new to this and I don`t know what load will work the best in the rifle or ballistics of said unknown load, and I can`t get the load till I get a scope, but really can`t pick a scope till I know my load,,,or am I over thinking the whole thing?

take a look at JBM calculations page and try a few loads to see how many MOA adjustment you need. It seems that at 100 yard zero, your scope with standard bases will be set in the middle. so a 50 MOA adjustable scope will have about 25 minutes of adjustment off of 100 yard sight in. My thoughts are that it will not be enough elevation adjustment with out using tapered mounts, it looks likey you need about 30 moa to 1000 and about 25 moa to 850 yards. I beleive you will be ok if you get the tapered mounts.

With a 20MOA base the scope has more than enough adjustment to get you to 1000 yards.
I have an old one that worked OK for me for years but it does have a couple of quirks,no problem what so ever with the glass....Its great for what I paid for it!!
First it holds zero very well as long as I dont adjust the power!The POI will change witht he power...not much but it does change!No problem as most of my shooting is at full power @ prairie dogs and on a deer rifle it does not change enought o miss a deer inside of 400 yards.
The other issue is that the elivation adjuster on it wore out and the scope needs to be sent back to Leupold.Again not realy a big issue as this scope has ben on numerous guns over the years and ben adjusted a lot but even in its prime the adjustments where not as repeatable as I would have liked....Maybe sending it back will help it be the scope it was designed for??

Maybe someone can answer this question. I have a 4.5-14 vx III LR w/ 30 mill main tube on my Sendero 300 ultra. It has leupolds BDC dial that I regularly shoot out to 1000 yds. Does the 30 mill tube scope have more adjustment? If so maybe you should get that one instead Bosox.--JM.

50 is plenty. You will need 20ish minutes of up (with a 100 yard zero) to get to 1k, depending on your load. You can use a tapered base or Burris signature rings to get your zero near the bottom of the elevation adjustment.

I use that scope with Burris Sig rings. My 100 yard zero is about 10 inches off the bottom. Leaving me 40+ minutes I can dial up. Haven't run out yet.

Heli, yes lower power scopes have more adjustment, add in a 30mm tube and by looking at the Leupold book it shows you have 100 MOA to play with, Do you feel 14 power is enough for your LR shooting?

For now I think it is. I can consistantly hit a 20" gong at 700 yards. I know thats not a big deal in this group, but its as far as I plan on using it in a hunting situation.--JM. PS I loooove the side parallax adjustment

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.