Electronic scales vs cold room.

tlk

So winter is here - again. Tried to get some reloading done and noticed my electronic scale would not turn on. Anything below around 45 deg F. and it is a no-go. Bring it into another room to warm it up and it will run, but I noticed that as it became colder the weights would get off. It is am MTM caseguard.

Anyone else have this issue?

"Anyone else have this issue? "

Not me! My very accurate, very sensitive, very reliable and quick to settle OLD beam scale doesn't care what the temp is.

I wouldn't have one of the finicky digitals on my bench! (Your mileage may vary.)

I use the rcbs charge master and have no problems I check it with beam scale every now and then
How ever I dont reload under about 60 guess im getting soft as i get older
below 45 i would be moving to a warmer place

I have no experience with using an elctronic scale in cold temps, however, my old PACT scale would act weird anytime the air conditioner kicked on. There were no vents anywhere nearby so it wasn't an air flow issue. I always chaulked it up to either a line voltage change or some type of flux voltage. My Dillon and my RCBS Chargemaster do not have th same issue.

I have a RCBS Chargemaster and have reloaded in my shop when it was around 38 or so and it functioned good, I would usually spin a few out and check on my beam scale just to be sure and it would be good.

-Nathan

Yeah, dont get me wrong. The beam scale was right beside it, and I was trying to use the electronic to verify it since I was at max charge and wanted to be dead on. I have two beam scales, so I will be using the second for verification. Awful slow, though.

A couple of other things about this scale (maybe all of these types) that gets me: First, if there is any static buildup it jacks with the reading. A plastic pan with a static charge throws it all off. Second, if you weigh a charge in the middle of the scale it will read differently than if you move it to the side/corner of it - with mine it is as little as 1/8" over from center. Tested this many times. What I did was put a dot with a magic marker in the dead center of the face so that I wegh everything in the same spot every time. It shouldn't be this difficult - I have other aspects of my shooting that I need to work on, not stuff that is this straightforward. Just sayin'.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.