Electric Powder Measure - thoughs

dig

Getting ready too (or thinking about) make the plung, what works, what does not. Is it worth it, or should I just use the Redding and Lyman powder measures and weigh?

Hornady?
RCBS?
Lyman?
Smart Reloader?

Thanks

I have the Lyman 1200 and also the RCBS charge master. Both do a very good job. It would be very hard to go back to my old methods using a beam scale. I think either of these unite would do you well and I have found the accuracy to be awesome.

Jeff

I have the Hornady unit. If for some reason this unit pukes, I will buy another electric measure. I am not going back to a balance scale.

Last edited:
Too many people are having great success with the electronic scales to be negative on them but I found from my experience that your reloading conditions have a lot to do with using an electronic.

If you keep your scale at normal household temperature all the time you have a chance, if you keep it in a garage or something you'd be best to let it warm up for a half hour or whatever it takes. If you have flourescent lighting in your reloading area electronic's can be effected. If you live where your power company has deviations with their power supply you have a problem. Any static in your area will effect a electronic scale.

No matter what you decide - never sell your beam scale as they are not effected by most of the elements an electronic is and I'll bet you end up verifying your electronic with your beam scale.

I think no answer on this IS BEST but whatever fits your sytle and needs.

I didn't get into reloading for high speed production and, also because of other considerations regarding the electronic scales like mentioned in the other post, I'm sticking with my good old OHaus beam scale. It will still be working with no basic money outlays when these old bones are long gone!

Ive had the RCBS chargemaster for about 10 days. Its very accurate and so far I like it. Time will tell if it will continue to perform well.

My RCBS Chargemaster is fast, accurate, and very easy to clean/change powder. I would not go back.

I am contemplating purchasing a scientific grade scale for competition loading. But, I would still use the RCBS to throw the initial charge and then trickle to the precise weight.

Re: Electric Powder Measure - thoughts

I have the Hornady AutoCharge unit and would never go back to the beam scale. I will however keep the beam scale to verify charges once in a while. So far, + or - 0.1grn has been spot on every time.

Bill

The rational basis for how to choose tools for your powder handling chores is how many rounds you weigh out at a time. If it's a few dozen the digital dumpsters are foolish, IMHO. If you do a few hundred at a time, yeah, they are helpful. The gray area in between is a toss up.

Personally, I never feel a need to hurry my precision loading and prefer to KNOW I'm in control every step of the way. I will not relinquish that control to any 'made in China' electronic gimmick. :rolleyes:

I bought the RCBS Chargemaster and man, it is the way to go. By the time I get the funnel onto the new case, the charge is nearly ready to pour.

The rational basis for how to choose tools for your powder handling chores is how many rounds you weigh out at a time. If it's a few dozen the digital dumpsters are foolish, IMHO. If you do a few hundred at a time, yeah, they are helpful. The gray area in between is a toss up.

Personally, I never feel a need to hurry my precision loading and prefer to KNOW I'm in control every step of the way. I will not relinquish that control to any 'made in China' electronic gimmick. :rolleyes:

I would hardly call an electronic powder dispenser a gimmick. As far as volume loading, it does not matter to me if I am putting together 30 rounds or 300, I like my dispenser. I too never hurry my reloading, despite using my "electronic gimmick". BTW, do you consider a calculator a gimmick? A couple of sharp pencils and an eraser works too!:rolleyes:

To each their own, but calling them foolish for loading a few dozen rounds is your opinion, and not necessarily shared by others. :D

I would hardly call an electronic powder dispenser a gimmick. As far as volume loading, it does not matter to me if I am putting together 30 rounds or 300, I like my dispenser. I too never hurry my reloading, despite using my "electronic gimmick". BTW, do you consider a calculator a gimmick? A couple of sharp pencils and an eraser works too!:rolleyes:

To each their own, but calling them foolish for loading a few dozen rounds is your opinion, and not necessarily shared by others. :D

x2!!!!

If I had the money laying around I'd buy one in a heart beat... I work with a guy that is a pretty serious benchrest competitor and he picked one up last summer and is thrilled with it...(not sure which model, I think RCBS)

I enjoy loading and probably only spend 15-20 hrs a year doing it, so the chargemaster just isn't a wise investment for me. Now, if I had an AR and was shooting multi thousands of rounds through it, plus my hunting rifles and such, it would be a different story.

How much faster are they? I use a powder dump/charger, then weigh, then trickle to dead nutz.... it really doesn't take that long...

I have owned the RCBS Chargemaster for a couple of years now, and I highly recommend it.

I have a fluorescent shop light above my reloading bench, and it has not caused me any problems.

The heat/AC outlet above my bench has. I have to close the register, or use the breeze cover that comes whith the unit. I just close the register when throwing powder because I don't like to use the cover.

I turn it on for ~1/2 hour prior to loading, calibrate, and start loading. Always spot on compared to my balance beam scale.

Throw a charge, dump it into the case, and by the time I seat the bullet the next charge is ready and always within .1 gr.

Fast, very accurate, and easy. Whats not to like.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.