ELD-M for hunting

Was just going to go with the 215 Hybrids for my 300 Win, but now I'm seriously considering grabbing a box of 225 ELD-M to try with how much cheaper they are and how the others seem to be performing well

Was just going to go with the 215 Hybrids for my 300 Win, but now I'm seriously considering grabbing a box of 225 ELD-M to try with how much cheaper they are and how the others seem to be performing well

I hear its a whopping .777 BC on the 225 ELD-M's.

Took a sheep and a caribou with a 6.5mm 140 out of a 6.5saum. Both weirdly right at 310 yards. Both lower 1/3 behind shoulder. Sheep did not exit. Could have grazed front shoulder...Fairly explosive, sheep didn't drop but only went a couple yards
Bou, complete exit, Sim to a amax, about a silver dollar exit. Dropped like a rock at hit

Do like the bullet, but I'm moving to the X for hunting, had great results with the sst, this looks like a sst with better bc's. FWIW

I'm bringing this one back up. I'm getting ready to take the 285 ELD M black and brown bear hunting this spring. It's looking to be the winning combination with RL33 for precision in my LM. I, like others, have been impressed with what I'm seeing from the Hornady line. I've found myself migrating from the Bergers to the Hornady ELDs for the reasons already stated. They're easier to tune and they should open more reliably.

Last edited:
I'm bringing this one back up. I'm getting ready to take the 285 ELD M black and brown bear hunting this spring. It's looking to be the winning combination with RL33 for precision in my LM. I, like others, have been impressed with what I'm seeing from the Hornady line. I've found myself migrating from the Bergers to the Hornady ELDs for the reasons already stated. They're easier to tune and they should open more reliably.

Good luck Brent! Take lots of pics.........Rich

I put some 285s down range to finish load development in the 338LM. They ended up printing a 1.4" four shot group at 340 yards from a clean cold bore at 2840 fps with rl33 in Lapua brass.

I'm calling this ready for bear season in a couple weeks.

I put some 285s down range to finish load development in the 338LM. They ended up printing a 1.4" four shot group at 340 yards from a clean cold bore at 2840 fps with rl33 in Lapua brass.

I'm calling this ready for bear season in a couple weeks.

That should make Smokey nervous!:D

Looking forward to hearing about more ELD-M results on game. I'm thinking about picking up a box of 225gr pills to try in my 300NM.

Any updates ? Considering the 180 eldm for Kansas whitetails out of an STW this year .

Well I have the 285s printing 1.3 to 4 inch groups at 833 yards with my Edge, so I sure hope they work out...

Well I have the 285s printing 1.3 to 4 inch groups at 833 yards with my Edge, so I sure hope they work out...
Yes sir, I too have put the 285gr ELDs on target at various distances. A couple of months ago I put a string of first shot hits on steel together at 450, 650, 800, 900, 1000, 1200, 1350, 1760.
I have a 1.08" group @ 300 yrds but have not shot for group past that yet. I like that 4" group @ 833! Would you share your recipe?

I took a NH buck this year with a 162 eld-match outof my 7mm Rem Mag with a MV of 3115 at 50 yards this year. The buck was quartered towards me slightly. I hit him right behind the shoulder and the bullet stopped under the hide on the opposite side near the rear leg. Total retained weight was 62 grains and the insides were mush. He ran about 20 yards then dropped
20171115_113645.jpg
20171115_082542.jpg