elctronic barrel cleaners?

They were the hot new thing 20-25 years ago, then kind of faded away. I made one and found it useful in an old, used Rem 700 that had a sewer pipe, pitted barrel. You could see the copper just looking down the barrel and as far as I could tell it took all the copper out and left all the pit bottoms very black. It didn't take too many shots to re-copper it though.

For general use, in my better rifles, I found it more trouble than it was worth. Plus I was always worried that the electrode rod in the barrel might somehow end up in contact with the barrel surface overnight, possibly damaging the barrel.

I got one of the Outters and really like it, particularly for heavy deposits. They and the chemicals were expensive in the early days. As the prices came down they became more popular.
The original 'Foul Out' had indicator lights that gave the status of cleaning.
Attention to making sure the chamber was stoppered good and the firearm in a vertical position. Place the proper size o-rings on the Anode and insert in bore with appropriate electrolyte - copper or lead. Turn it on a forget it - it shuts off when finished. Light oil bore when finished.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    575.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    473.5 KB · Views: 38