Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

AlbertaAl

Hello from Sherwood Park, Alberta with a community of 75,000 bordering City of Edmonton (NHL 5 time Stanley Cup Edmonton Oilers live here).
I've been creeping this website for a long time and just joined last week.
The articles and members are a great group of knowledgable people !
I shoot alot of rifles >>>
20BR BAT w/Robertson stock, PacNor 1:11x26" 40gr Berger @ 3950fps
20PPC SAKO AI single shot PacNor 1:12x23" Berger 30 @ 4000 fps
222 sako 75 repeater
223 Vixen Sako repeater
Ruger folding stock 22 rimfire
243 AI BAT PacNor 1:10x26" Scenar 90 gr @ 3400 fps
300 Win mag Greywolf, factory, Lapua brass Accubond 180's
(2) 308 Tika Master 595's , Scenar 155 gr.
260 Rem Greywolf, factory, Nosler brass, Accubond 130's
17HMR Anschutz w/6.5-20 EFR Leupold prefers CCI ammo
I have 4 NXS scopes for the above rifles...love 'em all

I hunt coyotes for the gorgeous fur >>>> picture 3 yrs old
2nvt1kh.jpg

Welcome to Long Range Hunting.gun)

Looks like you've got a pretty good arsenal there for killin critters and having fun.

I didn't know you guys had fur lined fences up in Canada.;):);)

Welcome

I've been through Sherwood Park a few times, over near Wye and Range Road 224 if I recall correctly. Mostly up there to visit friends and chase bears and deer. I haven't hunted any coyotes but have seen a few, they weren't fence sitters like yours... looks like a fox snuck in to the crowd there too.

You're not too far from Richard Graves either, have you tried his bullets or been down his way??

Dave King >>>

I happen to live on Rng Rd 224 and Hwy 14 ....what a coincidence
Have we met ?

Richard Greaves bullets

Greaves ...he's located 30 minutes from my house but I've never tried his bullets.
Its really odd that he has customers dealing with him from all over North America....but I've never tried nor know very little about the product.
I do know he doesnt make 20 Calibre bullets unless something has changed.
-Al

Al, anyone who knows that much about coyote hunting is welcome here!

I hope you'll help out our Predator forum.

I don't believe we've met. When I travel up that way I sometimes stop there on Wye road to visit the elder Nemetchek family. I typically head north up to the Athabasca area but have also been southeast of you to shoot gophers and over at Lloyd to shoot/plink with Ian M. and his friends. Last few trips up there I spent a fair bit of time on the Alta/B.C. border just north of Peace River chasing muledeer (archery) and then over by Slave lake (Martin Hills I think) looking for bears and also near Calling Lake chasing whitetail. Mostly though I just wreck 4-wheelers and slog through muskeg. I haven't been lost yet but I did spend a few hours walking out after dark when the winch on the Polaris ate the cable on a pull through muskeg on the Old Peace River Trail (lots of mosquitos after dark).

I also stop down to Richard Grave's place when I get up there, he's got a fine family and is a decent man. I did have to park my rental mini-van out of sight at his place, he's a little fussy about girly vehicles being in plain sight on the farm (it was the only vehicle left to rent at the airport).

Greaves ...he's located 30 minutes from my house but I've never tried his bullets.
Its really odd that he has customers dealing with him from all over North America....but I've never tried nor know very little about the product.
I do know he doesnt make 20 Calibre bullets unless something has changed.
-Al

Yup he makes them now .jack

Alberta hunting

The hunting in Alberta is becoming more difficult with every year that passes with the large influx of people.
In case readers dont know, Alberta is all about oil and thats created an economy like I'd never imagined.
I think Edmonton has doubled in size in the last 10 years
My acreage ten years ago was worth $ 175,000 and now its somewhere around $ 850,000
Farmland is being subdivided and lots of the quarters are being sold individually for huge dollars to people who are working in the oil patch.
They're talking about making Alberta a pay to hunt province where the landowner will be charging money to whom ever hunts on his land.
The crown and government lands look like ant hills with a network of winding trails to access oil lease sites.
I've hunted every part of Alberta and its amazing how the wild game still flourishes here.
We've got coyotes packs living in downtown Edmonton and Calgary parks.
The outfitters secure alot of land for their customers who pay $6,000 to hunt deer that are being run down by heavy traffic anyways...
Resident Big game hunting is on a draw system for some elk, all moose, and all antelope
I've been trying to get an antelope license for 6 years.
I like hunting coyotes because it affords me alot of action everytime I go out and nobody cares that I shoot them.

did you go with a guide to kill these coyote or did you kill them all by yourself?if you went with a guide i would appreciate it if you would be kind enough to tell me what outfitter you went with?

ALBERTA AL
You are right on three of my best friends have gone west one was a Teacher from the soo Ont...
They are making twice the money that they did in the mines in Ontario.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.