EDM Windrunner Question

slwatson

Well first off I would like to say that I haven't posted much on this forum but I have done a great deal of reading and "lurking." Everyone on here seems to have a vast amount of knowledge and passion for guns and hunting which is awesome.

My question is regarding the EDM Windrunner. I have seriously been considering purchasing one in either 50 BMG or .408 CT. Right now I am leaning toward the 50 because on their website that is the only one mentioned that comes left handed. If they both come left handed, then which is the preferred caliber for long range elk hunting and 2000+yrds target shooting?

The 50 BMG is rarely mentioned on here and I was wondering how many of you have used it for hunting. From what I have read the .408 CT's main advantage is weight reduction vs. the 50. Has the .408 lived up to all its hype or has it died down. It seems that the 408 CT is more popular if it is necked down to 338 on this forum.

Seems like besides cost, the only problem with the 408 is bullet selection. I don't know of anything you can shoot through it except solids.

Thanks for the info on the 408, I was wondering if anyone made a hunting bullet for it. That's too bad.

I was also wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Windrunner rifle. How was the accuracy? I've heard it is one of the most accurate .50 BMG rifles and is the basis for CheyTac's M200 intervention model and shares most of the same parts.

Another question I have is regarding sound suppressors. How well do they tame the massive muzzle blast of the 50? It seems they would make it more pleasant for bystanders but are still probably very loud. There is a nice looking Windrunner 50 cal with a suppressor on EDM Arms website that was used in Afghanistan.

I have a custom .408 being built right now and I ran into a similar problem on the projectile issue. The only place that I can find is Hawk bullets. When I spoke to them they said that they do indeed make a hunting .408 bullet and that it performed well on African game.

V/R
Rob

Thanks for the info on the 408, I was wondering if anyone made a hunting bullet for it. That's too bad.

I was also wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Windrunner rifle. How was the accuracy? I've heard it is one of the most accurate .50 BMG rifles and is the basis for CheyTac's M200 intervention model and shares most of the same parts.

Another question I have is regarding sound suppressors. How well do they tame the massive muzzle blast of the 50? It seems they would make it more pleasant for bystanders but are still probably very loud. There is a nice looking Windrunner 50 cal with a suppressor on EDM Arms website that was used in Afghanistan.

ARM28,
Just out of curiosity, what kind of bullet is the Hawk .408? Did they give you any specs on it? BC, weight, design, length and what not...

There is an individual (one man operation) who makes 408 bullets for EDM (not sure of the weight). Also, FWIW one of the major bullet companies is working on a 408 bullet (not a solid).
The 375x408 is much more versatile cartridge, especially with the available bullets. Sierra's 350 SMK shoots really goodgun)in the 375x408 Chey-Tac (Lawton Action/Barrel in a MCree stock):D

Rocky Mountain Bullets makes the bullets that EDM sells. 420 gr. lead core copper jacket with a BC of .877 , great bullets. Call Keary at EDM (909-307-8877) for more info. By the way, the Windrunner is an awsome rifle. I'm shooting one in .408 and it really is a great rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.