Edge fireforming

4xforfun

To you Edge guys. Is there any accuracy or velocity loss on new unfired Edge brass compared to fireformed brass? It is my understanding that an Edge is simply a 300RUM necked up to .338 with no other changes. Or is there a 30, 35, or 40 degree sholder in the mix, also. Would you go on a big hunt or shoot in a match with new unfired brass?

This Edge thing has my curiosity up.

With my 338 Edge, it shoots about anything you can throw at it. 250 SMK and 300 SMK shoot extremely well. Accuracy and velocity are consistant between new or once fired neck sized brass.
All I do is neck up 300 Remington Ultra Mag brass in a Redding "S" bushing die set. No change in shoulder angle.
I've put 3-shot groups @ 100 yards that are less than .5" outside spread with brand new Remington brass. I've papered shots out to 450' so far with groups at 2". I'd go shooting anywhere with once fired brass and feel confident to say the least.
They don't appear to be fussy at all which really helps with load developement and accuracy.
It's one hell of a round !!

I certainly wouldn't be afraid to shoot unfired brass in a match or hunting based on the results we've had with it. That being said, I've chosen to go to Shawn's class this weekend with all once-fired stuff just to eeek out any additional consistency there might be.

i'm not going to claim to have worn out any barrels with this round but my limited experience has been that new brass shoots every bit as good or better than fired.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.