Ed "Doc" Harren's M40A1

Dave King

A while back I got a few turn-in USMC M40A1 sniper rifle stocks... A stock without a rifle is a real shortcoming in my book so I immediately set about filling in the missing pieces.

The rifle pictures here on the top is a early variant of the USMC M40A1 sniper rifle. The first few McMillan fiberglass 'smear-style" stocks were fitted to rebuilt Remington 700 and utilized thee then common Redfield Accurange scopes.

The rifle pictured on the bottom is a late model version M40A1 built by G. A Precision, this is still a McMillan stock but with the more refined woodland pattern and the Unertal style base and scope (these items pictured here are U. S. Optics variants).

M40A1-GAP-pair-L-S.JPG

Now the rifles reversed: Ed Harren built rifle on the bottom and G. A. Precision on the top.

M40A1-GAP-pair-R-S.JPG

Here's a better look at the clip slotting done on the Doc Harren rifle.

dave-m40-a1-early-1-s.jpg

Last edited:
Clip slotting? Whasat and why, if it is what I think it is, on a scoped rifle?

Also, stocks w/o out rifles in'em is about as bad as barrels w/no actions on 'em. I ended up w/two barrels and a bucket of stuff from Jim. Just when I had my life all planned out.:rolleyes:

BTW, how many rems did I receive from my life aboard the Big E down in #4 reactor plant during that westpac cruise?;)

Roy

The USMC M40 and M40A1 rifles were clip slotted as received from Remington. Initially this would be of zero benefit as the scope base covers the clip slot and block the clip slot normal usage. I suppose there was some thought of using a front and receiver sight as used by the Army M24 for some of the rifles or for the marksmanship training but I don't know for sure.

The second generation M40, the M40A1 with the Unertl base used the clip slot to augment the strength of the base to rifle bond, the base was machined to slide into the clip slot front and rear.

Badger Ordnance and U S Optics are known to me to make clip slotted bases for use with these type rifles and actions.

To have a genuine synthetic (clone) of an M40 or M40A1 the action must be clip slotted.

I can tell you the rems but then... well, you know what I'd need to do. If you ever actually want to know, fax a request to (3 0 1) 2 9 5 - 5 9 8 1, include your particulars and positive ID.

I got to handle and look through the Doc Ed rifle one day at Quantico and that was a treat. I liked the old Redfield Accurange and Accutrac scopes. Of course, being an M21 fan, I didnot feel any real connection to the M40, but it was a nice rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts