Eberlestock X2 Pack

Andy Backus

Field Editor
Staff member
I just got in from an early morning run with my Eberlestock X2 and thought I would report in.

I'll be archery elk hunting at 12,000 in a couple weeks so I'm really ramping up my workouts. The last few mornings I've been getting up a couple hours earlier than normal and running a couple miles with my boots and my Eberlestock X2 pack. This is on top of my other daily workouts I've been doing for about 3 months. I plan to use the X2 as my everyday day pack as well as a bivy pack for a couple nights. I've been running with about 20 lbs including the X2.

I have to say, I'm extremely happy with how well the X2 is performing while running. I'm able to tighten it up to my body really well and nothing flops around or makes much noise. I don't have any sense of the pack swaying back and forth like I so often do with larger, taller packs. I don't have any uncomfortable rubbing. It really rides better than I had hoped while running. I could run many miles without the pack being a problem at all (my lungs might be another story).

I plan to carry my bow on the back of the X2 using a ButtBucket. That will most likely flop around a bit while running unless I use an extra strap to tie it down. I'll give that a shot soon. I've been a little hesitant to run around my suburban neighborhood with a bow on my back. :)

One note about the Eberlestock X2 - It's fairly short from top to bottom and there's no way to adjust for longer torso lengths. I'm 5'-8" and I'm just barely able to carry much of the load on my hips and still have the pack balanced right when hiking. When running, since I have to tighten the shoulder straps quite a bit more than when hiking, the hip belt rides up higher and ends up well off my hips with all the weight on my shoulders. My Bivy pack will weigh less than 30 lbs, so I'm fine with that.

On another note, the shoulder straps are narrower and thinner than some of the large freight-hauling packs. I've been practicing shooting my bow with the Eberlestock X2 on and it really feels good. I hardly notice that it's on anymore when shooting. With 30 lbs or less, the shoulder straps are plenty wide and padded. If I was carrying much more for very long, I'd want a more beefy harness system.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.