eberlestock skycrane??

Frogman77

HAs anyone every used one of these packs?? Planning on using it for hauling moose and sheep as well as my camping gear for hunting. Good, Bad, Great??

Thanks in advance!

I think Shawn Carlock might be using this one now ?? Could be wrong but I am sure he went bigger ( Dragonfly or Skycrane from the gunslinger. I use the M3 Operator and am very happy with it indeed !

All great packs mate. Can't go too much wrong either way !!

There are plenty of Eberlestock threads here so do some searches . Good reading !

Cheers

DUH

Thanks! I couldn't find too much info on the skycrane, I've seen lots about the gunslinger and other packs, it' looks pretty solid and I've got a great price on one...I think I'll give it a go. I really like the rifle scabbard.

anyone else used one for large game hunting specifically??

Got it in the mail today....

first impressions,,,very well put together and well thought out as far as being able to tailor the pack to fit your needs: day pack, shooting mat, meat hauler, packing for a week long trip....It should fit the bill for what I want to do, I'm going to load it up with some weight and see what it's like..

I recieved my Halftrack yesterday,last night I loaded it up with ALL my gear and a rifle and took the dogs for a walk.The pack spreads the weight very well over your hips and shoulders,it is much more comfortable than a few other packs I own.Only time will tell if it can take the abuse I provide,looks like it should.Very well designe and layed out.gun)

I have the J104 "Just-One" and I cannot say enough about Eberlestock quality. With this pack on my back I have hauled massive loads of caribou and moose without a single broken stitch. I'm heading out on a brown/black bear hunt this week. I'll see how it does with a large bear hide. The pack still looks brand new after cleaning.

Thanks for the report guys, I'm looking forward to using my pack for moose this fall. I've always used external frames for hauling but I wanted something that I didn't have to fuss with taking my bag off the frame to haul stuff. Plus the rifle scabbard looks like it wil work great...

just an update: the more I use this pack the more I like it! at first I was weary because the padding is as thick as my kelty frame or other external frame packs that I've seen and used. However, I loaded it up with a modest 85lbs of weight the other day just to see how it would fare, and it did very well. it was heavy, but there were no pinching points or nerve issues. it carried very well. Even my buddy who uses a Barney's packframe was surprised at how well it carried. Will it take a 125lbs? 150lbs??? well, considering that I only weigh 155lbs, the issue is probably whether or not I can handle that much weight hauling around over an extended period of time! I'm gonna load it up to 115lbs later this week and hopefully be able to get up and not get "broked".

As said before the organization of the pockets and compartments was extremely well thought out. Being able to customize the pack to what is needed or not needed is definitely a plus. The accessories available are great. Being able to add another spike duffel, mesh game bag and pouches in various places is very nice to have. I haven't had it in the heavy rains yet, so we'll see how the waterproof material holds up later. I'll probably end up getting a rain cover anyway... Accessiblity to the compartments is easy. the heavy utility straps are quick and seem to be very durable.

rifle scabbard....well...it's what I was looking for! I can even take the scabbard completely out and just use it as a drag bag and use the pack as a freighter to cut down on weight. and bulk.

I've read some complaints that the load didn't carry as well without the rifle in the scabbard, I didn't find that to be true with my pack at least on my back.

anyway, Definitely good thus far, we'll see how it does with some big bulky Moose quarters.....ugh...if I'm honest, not really looking forward to that part. But sure is nice to fill the freezer!

just an update: the more I use this pack the more I like it! at first I was weary because the padding is as thick as my kelty frame or other external frame packs that I've seen and used. However, I loaded it up with a modest 85lbs of weight the other day just to see how it would fare, and it did very well. it was heavy, but there were no pinching points or nerve issues. it carried very well. Even my buddy who uses a Barney's packframe was surprised at how well it carried. Will it take a 125lbs? 150lbs??? well, considering that I only weigh 155lbs, the issue is probably whether or not I can handle that much weight hauling around over an extended period of time! I'm gonna load it up to 115lbs later this week and hopefully be able to get up and not get "broked".

As said before the organization of the pockets and compartments was extremely well thought out. Being able to customize the pack to what is needed or not needed is definitely a plus. The accessories available are great. Being able to add another spike duffel, mesh game bag and pouches in various places is very nice to have. I haven't had it in the heavy rains yet, so we'll see how the waterproof material holds up later. I'll probably end up getting a rain cover anyway... Accessiblity to the compartments is easy. the heavy utility straps are quick and seem to be very durable.

rifle scabbard....well...it's what I was looking for! I can even take the scabbard completely out and just use it as a drag bag and use the pack as a freighter to cut down on weight. and bulk.

I've read some complaints that the load didn't carry as well without the rifle in the scabbard, I didn't find that to be true with my pack at least on my back.

anyway, Definitely good thus far, we'll see how it does with some big bulky Moose quarters.....ugh...if I'm honest, not really looking forward to that part. But sure is nice to fill the freezer!

I've had 150 lbs in mine quite a few times. It should hold, no problem.

Good to know!! that's reassuring...I'll probably fall over with 150lbs, but we'll give it a shot. Just ordered a rain cover and a second spike camp duffel.
I'm really pleased with the pack. Now to find some game to fill it :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.