Eastern Ohio

justgoto

Hi!

I don't really know what to say. I am new to long range shooting, have never shot game over 200 yards before. Haven't had a scope mounted to a rifle before actually. :p

Here are a few videos of me shooting a few of my rifles with iron sights.

First trying my 30-30 at 400 yards. That is the first time I shot that over 200 yards.

YouTube - 400 Yard Winchester 30-30 Shot

Next I am shooting my 30-06 Eddystone Model of 1917 at 400 yards. That was the first time I shot any rifle over 250 yards.

YouTube - 400yd 30-06 Peep Sight

There were a few more shots at that beforehand but I am on dial-up and would not be able to upload too large a file. I have since put a cheap scope on it, tomorrow I may zero it at 300 yards and take a 500 yard shot just to test it out.

I am going to start reloading so I will not mess with those long shots until I get some of my own cartridges.

I also love to shoot pistols.

YouTube - Coin Shots

I love this site! I have learned so much already and know I will learn more here than any other site.

Thanks for listening!

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.

There's a good IBS range near Coshocton that you could shoot at extended ranges. It's probably 60 miles west of you at the Rt70 and Rt77 split.
Do a search for Thunder Valley Rifle Range, send the owner an e-mail, and see if you could go there and do some shooting.

Glad you could join us. Please keep the videos coming as you extend your range. We really enjoy seeing them.

justgoto~

Shoot me a pm with your contact info. I come right past you on my way out there, there's always room for one more if you want to join us.

justgoto~

Shoot me a pm with your contact info. I come right past you on my way out there, there's always room for one more if you want to join us.

I am looking into getting reloading equipment then trying out my 30-06 for accuracy with my own loads. I am wondering if my rifle shoots well enough. When I hooked up my scope the adjustments didn't go as planned and I am wondering if there is a problem with my 30-06.

Here is what the targets looked like.

firstadjustment.jpg

(The hole in the paper plate is old.)
2ndadjustment.jpg

I am kinda thinking my rifle is not shooting properly because after one click scope adjustment down my next shot looked like this.

badshot.jpg

The dirt in the left side of the pic.
There was a tree close to that red line angle but I would have had to be missing the target by 50 feet to hit that tree. I was thinking there is a headspace problem but the other shots were in line vertically.
Unless there was a bird I hit and didn't notice, I have no explanation for that shot and that bothers me.

So I am going to buy reloading equipment, then load my own ammo, then try to see if it does that again here at home before I take my rifle out anywhere.

But yeah, I will PM you with my info and when I get this sorted out I will gladly go! I really want to try shooting over 500 yards with my new scope!

It could be over a month before I will be ready, I am thinking of buying another rifle, maybe a 308 or a 338 winchester mag but I am still looking around.

Welcom to LRH. I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information here. If you can't find what your looking for just ask, there are alot of LRH member who are more than willing to share their experiences and expertise. Have fun and good shooting.

Thank you Kevin! :)

P.S. I found where the shot went in my above comment.

I was shooting at a plate beside the larger target and it went above the plate. So once I get my reloading equipment I will try that again.

(I was using old gun show ammo.)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.