Dura Coat

BigDaddy0381

Not sure if this is posted in the right place.

Alrighty,
What is the best cleaner to clean your gun with when getting ready to dura coat it?I know dura coat has something but i'm looking for something different.Also the bolt and all other moving parts do you paint them and shave off where it will touch or do you paint it in the gun?

Well i guess is what i'm asking is step by step of what needs to be done.

Thanks for the info

prep work for duracoat

Talked to a guy here in my area doing custom duracoat jobs for people, he used automotive Brake Cleaner to degrease the barreled action,cheap but very effective.Then he would mask the area's he didn't want painted the same as any other paint job except for very precise trimming of the masking tape with an Xacto knife or something similar. Then he would paint the gun and after a short drying period remove tape, and bake the gun. Instructions come with kit I'm told goodluck!

I've been doing a few dura coat jobs and the stuff they send with it works great but i have also used Gun Scrubber and have seen not bad effects from that. Watch out for crooks and nooks where grease can get cause that stuff can drain out later and cause hell

steve

Has anyone use the clear coat after they have apinted the stick's? I seen it was recamended but was woundering if anyone has done this if it has helped?

well again your just a little to quick for me. i will be trying it on a couple of rifles in the next week or so. i think it will definantly be something worth using to protect the paint, though to be honest with ya that stuff is pretty freakin hard!!!!!! i painted a knife with it and have stabbed it into wood around 40 times and have yet to chip any paint off

take it easy
steve

i think i'm just going to paint mine with the normal dura coat and if it chips or something later i guess i can maybe touch it up and then clear it.if you say it is a pretty hard finish then I should be okay.This is my first one so i'm really not sure how it's going to work out.I have done some prep work to get it ready so now i need a good air brush and i'll be set.

I've never applied duracoat but have been considering giving it a try. What do you do about the muzzle? Do you put some cotton in the muzzle to keep any from going down the bore or will the finish be so thin as not to worry about?

I use an old copper bore brush with a patch wrapped around it. If you use a tight fitting brush and put your rod all the way through the barrel, thread the brush on at the action end and then pull it all the way through until about 1/2 of the brush is just starting out of the muzzle, unthread the rod and you have a fairly rigid way to hold the barrel and it's completely blocked. If you just start it from the muzzle they are sometimes very hard to remove unless you push it all the way through and then your spreading all the junk you sprayed down the barrel. I use the same setup when bead blasting and have never had a problem with beads getting in the barrel.

Another alternative is a foam earplug, just remember to push it out with a cleaning rod when you are done!

What type of screw/bolt holds on the recoil pad on the stock?I have dug around in the little holes in it and can't find anything to fit it correctly.Can anyone help with this?

I put the base coat black on last night but the paint on the stock seem's to be brital but on the barrel and action it seems fine.What would make the paint brital? would it be to much hardner?

Also is there a difference in the Dura coat clear dc and the Dura coat tru lube? Which one would be a tougher shell after I have finished the paint job? What would you recommend?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.