Due to neck surgery

startrek1761d

Due to recent neck surgery I have to hang up my 300 win mag and go lighter, my requirement are white tail deer out to 600 yards, recoil cannot exceed a 280 Remington. I am torn between a Tikka T3 in 7mm08 or 270, I know the 7 would be accurate, but out of 4 different 270 Winchester remingtons between me and my brother we have never had one that would shoot better than 1" at 100 yards. I plan to single load the rounds in the chamber with Berger Hunting bullets, I know the 270 is faster but the 7 08 is usually more accurate with a high bullet BC. what do you guys think, the rifle will be a Tikka T3 either has a 22.5 inch barrel. Is the 270 just naturally less accurate since its based on the 30/06 vs. the 7mm08 being based on the 308?

Put a muzzle brake on the 300. My hunting/business partner uses brakes on his 300 mag, and 7mm Rem Mag with excellent success. Currently his 7mm-08 is his only unbraked rifle other than his 222LR's. If you shoot your rifle well, you're used to it and you like it just brake it.

I do not believe that there is such a thing as an "inherently accurate" cartridge, or one that is more accurate than another, no matter what urban legends may exist or whatever hogwash the gun writers throw around. :D Personally, my 7mm-08 was my least accurate rifle and was sold because it wouldn't get better than 3 inches at 100 yards. My 270s are probably my more accurate rifles (Wby Vanguards) and routinely shoot under 1 inch with factory ammo, which they did again today.

I shoot from elevated enclosed blinds so a muzzle break is pretty much out of the question, I am beginning to wonder if there is a caliber out that that is 1/2 moa with enough energy left for 600 yards. my wife and I both have Tikkas in 243 that always shoot 1/2" or better but I don't trust them past 300 yards.

I do not believe that there is such a thing as an "inherently accurate" cartridge, or one that is more accurate than another, no matter what urban legends may exist or whatever hogwash the gun writers throw around. :D

I completely agree with this statement. Having said that, I think a 7mm-08 may be a good go to rifle for you. or, maybe a 6.5mm option could be looked at.

Also, I know that braking my 7 RM made it recoil like my 243. I'm not sure about the 300, but a brake may make the rifle an option for you. Best of luck!

I would check out the 6.5x47 and 6.5 Creedmor. Both are very accurate and light recoiling as well as very capable taking deer out past 600 yds. The 6.5x47 would be my choice because of the Lapua brass. Good luck.

6.5x47
6.5-284
7mm-08
6.5 creed

All of these will keel the beejeezus out of a deer at 600. The 284 will probably kick the most. My buddy has a 260 in savage 12 LRP, heavy as mercury, but it shoots lights out and little recoil. I shot a 6.5x47 once it was mild as well. My 6.5-284 is not bad at all I am pushing pressure to get 3000 fps out of it. If I knocked it back to 2800-2850 it would be really light recoil and hammer deer at 600.

Example with a 6.5 at 3000 fps at 600 yards....2300ish fps and 1700ish lbs of energy. DOA.

Due to recent neck surgery I have to hang up my 300 win mag and go lighter, my requirement are white tail deer out to 600 yards, recoil cannot exceed a 280 Remington. I am torn between a Tikka T3 in 7mm08 or 270, I know the 7 would be accurate, but out of 4 different 270 Winchester remingtons between me and my brother we have never had one that would shoot better than 1" at 100 yards. I plan to single load the rounds in the chamber with Berger Hunting bullets, I know the 270 is faster but the 7 08 is usually more accurate with a high bullet BC. what do you guys think, the rifle will be a Tikka T3 either has a 22.5 inch barrel. Is the 270 just naturally less accurate since its based on the 30/06 vs. the 7mm08 being based on the 308?
I would just go with a .260 Rem. Economical, mild recoil, great selection of quality hunting bullets with high BC.

Aim for a finished package of 9lbs or so and put a decent break on it and it'll be as mild to shoot as a 22-250 or .223.

I shoot from elevated enclosed blinds so a muzzle break is pretty much out of the question, I am beginning to wonder if there is a caliber out that that is 1/2 moa with enough energy left for 600 yards. my wife and I both have Tikkas in 243 that always shoot 1/2" or better but I don't trust them past 300 yards.

If that is how you hunt, a brake should work great. You should easily be able to throw in ear plugs before a shot if you are in an enclosed blind...

Actually that's the ideal situation for shooting with a brake. Just make sure the muzzle is well out of the window when you fire. The blind will actually then provide you some protection from the noise and blast.

I shoot everything from a .260-300 Rum, all with muzzle brakes that way all the time.

I load for a tikka 7-08 that will do 2800 with 140s and varget. If you can shoot a light weight rifle well, this setup should have the power and accuracy to do what you need.

I feel your pain brother. I broke my neck in 2003 and after months of wearing the halo (arrgh!) the doctors ended up fusing the 2nd, 3rd and 4th vertebrae. It took a while but I got back to where I could shoot somewhat "normally" again. Currently I'm shooting the .243Win., .25-06Rem., 6.5-284Norma and .300WInMag., no brakes. All these are heavy, 26" barrels of at least 10lbs.
My .25-06Rem. Sendero SF is my go to rifle. It's sub 1/2 MOA at all ranges and just feels great in my hands. I have unwavering confidence that it will get whatever I "sick" it on. When the sear breaks on the 115gn Berger, I just know there's a deer down.
The 6.5-284Norma pretty much tells the same story. It weighs a pound or so more, has a laminated stock but stacks bullets on top of each other at 100yds. OUt to 700yds I can usually cover the groups with my hand.
Not sure about the "inheritantly accurate" moniker either. Might be a subjective term. There are some calibers that seem to shoot accurately with little or no fuss. Whether it's the cartridge or not, the rifle, load and shooter all have a lot to do with it.
Good luck with your endeavor. JohnnyK.

If you want to use the 243 you could go with a custom barrel 1-8 twist and shoot some the berger 105 or the 115 with a 1-7 twist. Use retumbo powder and it will easily do 600yrds on deer size game. Or just buy a savage in a 6.5x284...or a 270...but I also am +1 on the brake. I just had one installed on my 300RUM done by Steve Pratt at Elk Meadow Performance. It has made my 300rum sendero have about the same recoil as my 6.5x284. Also I'm shooting a 210 grain berger out of it. I use to always shoot the rifle with both hands on the rifle when on the bench. Now it a easy 1 hand on the trigger and the other back on the rear bag. Yes I was much afraid of getting the scope eye. Only thing is it is necessary and I mean necessary to shoot it with hearing protection now. But it was a great trade off to say the least.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.