Dry graphite neck lube for seating bullets?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by RangerBrad, Dec 18, 2011.

1. RangerBrad

RangerBrad Well-Known Member

Hey fellas, I've seen that most use this lube for necks prior to resizing however, on Shawn Carlocks video (reloading for long range hunting) he used the One Shot product applied at a 45 degree angle for all of his case lubing prior to sizing however, the last step before adding the powder and bullet was to dip the case neck in graphite powder. How many of yal use this procedure and your thoughts on it?

He also does all the measurment of oal from ogive to base of case instead of base of case to tip of bullet. How many of yal use this method and your thoughts?

Also I have to say I am very impressed with this video as it isn't to complicated for a newbe reloader like me but is very precise and certainly something to aspire to. Thank's, Brad

2. ken snyder

ken snyder Well-Known Member

graphite is an abrasive once it is heated up and the oxygen is driven off, its only a lubricant because of the oxygen - A common use for graphite is sand paper! I wont use it

3. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

I use the ogive measurements because it gives the most consistent measurements. Tips of bullets, especially the Berger bullets, wont always be level so you wont get consistent measurements.

I have never used the graphite coating on the necks of my cases but if you clean it off well, it shouldn't make a difference.

4. RangerBrad

RangerBrad Well-Known Member

So you think that the graphite would destroy the barrel after a while? Brad

5. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

Neither have I. I want a CLEAN and accurately sized casing I.D. to properly grip the CLEAN O.D. of my bullet.

6. BH Hunter

BH Hunter Well-Known Member

I use mica, on the advise of Bob Carlock. He told me that he has used graphite IIRC, but it makes his hands dirty so he prefers mica. Shawn could answer definitively, however.