Drops matched advertised bc's

Tony,

I have been using the GS bullets for the last couple of years in various rifles. I have hunted with the 150's and 160's out of 30-06's. They are very impressive on the terminal ballistics and meat damage is far less than any other bullet I have experienced. Accuracy has never been a problem as long as they are seated close to the lands. I seat them so they no longer leave marks when they are chambered.

The 150's and 160's that I used in the past were old. They did not match the advertised bc's. The info that I had gotten was that GS made some changes and resolved the bc problem. These 177's are the first "new" GS bullets that I have shot. I wanted to post what I had found, because mine and others past experience with the bc's was not what we had hoped. I have an order of 150g .308's that should be showing up in the next 10 days. I will try them for drops and see if they do better than the "old" ones did.

MR,

I have some of the 173's, but I never tried them because I only have enough to develop a load. Since they came out with the new 177's, I just shelved them. They are "old" ones as well. I may just use them for fishing sinkers. My rifle is 30-338lap imp.

Steve

I'll be trying both Retumbo and H1000. I have seen over 3400 fps with 180 E-Tips using Retumbo but still load developing - and I'll be trying H1000 too. I'm shooting a 26" tube. I'm guessing H1000 will be the better powder for the 177's since it's a faster powder and will probably give better performnce at those velocites. I'm expecting 100-200 fps faster from the GS bullets than other bullets, based on what I've read from a few other guys who have shot them. And that is what GS advertises.

Thanks for the positive report on the GS bullets. Do you know when GS made the changes to the bullets for a better bc, I bought my bullets back in february and i am wondering if I got the old ones and need to buy another box or two so I can get the new ones...

Thanks,
Tony

Thanks for the positive report on the GS bullets. Do you know when GS made the changes to the bullets for a better bc, I bought my bullets back in february and i am wondering if I got the old ones and need to buy another box or two so I can get the new ones...

Thanks,
Tony

If I understood correctly, they changed a year or so ago. The first batch of bullets that I used were a couple of years old as I purchased them from a member here that was selling them.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts