Drop in Savage 110 Barrels

Firecat

Where are you guys getting(barrel maker) your Savage 110 drop in barrels and are you happy with them? I am considering doing a build off of a 110 action and would like to buy a barrel that has been chambered, threaded, crowned and ready for install. Is there another method that I should consider instead of the Savage drop in?

McGowen, Shilen, Pac-nor, Lilja, Douglas, and Adams and Bennet. They are all good barrels except adams and bennet. I personally use McGowen they are not to exspensive, they shoot great, and have pretty quick turnaround time, but the Pac-nor and Douglas are a great choice as well.

I've purchased from Sinarms and Shilen through Jim Briggs. I really like the service I got from Sinarms and they have shot great.

I've also had other drop in barrels but haven't bought them new. Douglas, Krieger, Hart, and A&B.

We have had really good luck with shilen drop ins. I have a Pac-Nor on my 338 Lapua Imp and a Mcgowen in 6X47 Lapua on the way.. Once I get them up and running I will see how they work..

Not all of the barrel manufactures have the Savage drop in barrels listed on their websites like Shilen does. I am assuming that they are offered, but are not listed. Is this correct?

Not all of the barrel manufactures have the Savage drop in barrels listed on their websites like Shilen does. I am assuming that they are offered, but are not listed. Is this correct?

No, not all manufacturers make drop-ins. You can always buy a blank from any manufacturer and have a competent smith turn it into a drop-in.

That's how I got my 338 Edge. I bought the fluted blank from McGowen and sent it to Sinarms to chamber and thread it for my Savage.

Northridge shooters and 4D reamers carry McGowen drop ins, Northridge also carries Shilen, most other companies you buy a blank and pay extra for them to thread and chamber them, that route usually runs 4-500$ McGowen and Shilen run from 280 to about 380.

Northridge shooters and 4D reamers carry McGowen drop ins, Northridge also carries Shilen, most other companies you buy a blank and pay extra for them to thread and chamber them, that route usually runs 4-500$ McGowen and Shilen run from 280 to about 380.

Not through me, my Sin Arms (mcgowen blanks) barrels start at $320

Then you charge to much! I just paid 330 for a 28" 10 twist 270 wby .800 taper stainless McGowen, and that was with shipping!

all of my customers must think I am right on the price and I don't charge rental fees on reamers. And I do find it pretty odd that I have 3 prefit mcgowens at my shop that I need to fix, oblong chambers, wrong chambers cut, and barrels threaded off center to the bore. A little love and care with ever barrel that leaves here is defiantly worth a few dollars. Also being able to talk to the person that handles the barrels, cuts the barrels, and ships the barrels (that includes 10pm tech calls) is nice too.

OMG .. not what I wanted to hear.. I just ordered a mcgowen prefit as he had them on sale (about 1/2 the price I pay up here for a similar Shilen).. Oh well worst comes to worst I will rechamber and I am rethreading anyway to fit a std shank.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.