DROP CHART . When EXBAL FAILS ???

What do you guys do when the RF fails? I have started trying to use ret first, before the RF to see how close i am..

that is what I do, with reflection, and interferance from rain snow what ever, or beam dispersion, you can experience failures with RFs. With reticle range estimation you can atleast be confident with whether or not you've got a good range. and to a point you may still be able to take the shot. It takes a lot of practice though.

that is what I do, with reflection, and interferance from rain snow what ever, or beam dispersion, you can experience failures with RFs. With reticle range estimation you can atleast be confident with whether or not you've got a good range. and to a point you may still be able to take the shot. It takes a lot of practice though.
Yep and don't forget to have a Mil Dot Mater in your Pocket to help get the job done accurately.

Out to 600yds though I don't worry about it much, just use the known dimensions to quickly figure my holdover and pull the trigger.

What do you guys do when the RF fails? I have started trying to use ret first, before the RF to see how close i am..

I have always used scopes with ranging reticles. Stayed with them for a back up when decent rangefinders showed up. First one was a Redfield stadia type back in the 60's. I have since used Mildot types, or the calibrated reticle designs used with the power ring yardages like those on the Leupold and Huskemaw. On deer sized game I can usually get to within 25-50 yards out to 500-600 yards., my limit using a reticle to range game.

using a mill or moa reticule I can do pretty good to 600 yards on moose/elk sized game, and 500 yards on deer unless they stay still for a very long time. I find the scope power selector ring/reticule bracket is the fastest, but actually punching in the numbers either mill or moa is the most accurate.

Practice in the off season with the reticule. when it comes to the hunt range, dial and let it rip.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.