Drew my first antelope tag ever!! Nevada 065

Just to be contrary I'll go with the 300 Winchester. Now that you've drawn you go on a five year "probation", by the time you get your points built up again. This could be a lifetime tag. My favorite Antelope load from 6mm to 375 is a 300 with a 200 grain bullet with a decent BC. Guess a wind call a little wrong, and even just center mass it anchors them right there. Also, Nevada Antelope are not nearly as populated as Wyoming making for fewer opportunities. I've read enough of your post to know, you know the rifle end of it as well or better than I do, and the question is mostly being sociable, but if you really want to take the 300 you're not the only one. Just guessing at your dates, but my one Nevada Antelope was late August-early September the rut got more visible everyday. Temperature sensitivity will play a roll. A rifle cooking on the front of an ATV all day will get **** hot.

Took a pair last fall with a 300 win and the 215's from the same herd. My two farthest shots on speed goats. First was at 1005, the second was at 1285. Bullet performance was awesome with complete pass through on both and both with nice 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" exits.

Antelope are the perfect long range game. They are out all day for the taking. And they are usually in open areas to watch them fall or for a follow up if needed.
They also eat very good too. We take between 6 and 8 each year. Knock the bark off them, 1/4 em and get them on ice asap.

I would try to get a doe tag or 2 and take both rifles. But I would probably use the 6.5 for a back up.

Good luck on your hunt and have a great time.

Jeff

I would try to get a doe tag or 2 and take both rifles. But I would probably use the 6.5 for a back up.

Not possible. Nevade doesn't do multiples. Can only put in for buck or doe.

Maybe someday.

This is the last year of my 5 year waiting period for Nevada buck antelope. During that time I've drawn 3 doe tags.

Not possible. Nevade doesn't do multiples. Can only put in for buck or doe.

Maybe someday.

This is the last year of my 5 year waiting period for Nevada buck antelope. During that time I've drawn 3 doe tags.

Thanks for that info, then I would make a swing through Wyoming and buy 3 OTC does tags and use them for a warm up session.:D

Jeff

The 6.5 will do what you need ,on any antelope. When you get to WY, warm up by shooting head shots on the does. More meat, great practice.

Put in for a Wyoming Antelope tag. I am taking my 300 Win. I took Broz's advise and it's shooting 215 Berger very well. My friends in Florida keep telling me it's way to much gun. One of them uses a 30-06, but a 300 is waaay to much. I have a 7mm-08, .308 and a .243. I will probably bring the 7-08 as well. I have been shooting the 300 alot and I am comfortable shooting it.

Michael,
Congratulations on drawing the tag!
As far as cartridge, I would go with the biggest you have, preferrably 338 EDGE or bigger. Antelope are extremely large critters with heavy bone structure and can absorb lots of lead and still stay on their feet. Most antelope guides will deliver a back up shot after your initial shot just to make sure they don't make it into the heavy alder patches where they might ambush and maul you as you attempt to track them. Best of luck and remember, you don't have to outrun the antelope, you just have to outrun the guide.

:DJust Kidding. Pretty much any centerfire bullet to the chest will do the job.

It's rough country up there. I got 6 doe this year, and half of our group got 6 late season cow elk. Will be a good time.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.