draw hunt in nevada worth every penny

nate270

I Live in idaho and I'm a nevaden and i grew very upset with the draw and the way things are in nv the elk is a once in a lifetime and deer is on the draw and if you want a good area you need lots of preferance points (one point for every year that you dont draw a tag) ie this year is going to suck. and then you get your tag and you only have 4 weeks to hunt eather early or late there are no center of the rut hunts any more. now for the out of stater he puts in for a tag you almost always get one and in just about any area that you want and they dont have to be guided or anything so if your willing to drive hours and hike into the sweet spot that produced big record size bucks from the good old days the out of state hunters get all the preferance and make hunting in Nevada worth every penny as i now see it.

I Live in idaho and I'm a nevaden and i grew very upset with the draw and the way things are in nv the elk is a once in a lifetime and deer is on the draw and if you want a good area you need lots of preferance points (one point for every year that you dont draw a tag) ie this year is going to suck. and then you get your tag and you only have 4 weeks to hunt eather early or late there are no center of the rut hunts any more. now for the out of stater he puts in for a tag you almost always get one and in just about any area that you want and they dont have to be guided or anything so if your willing to drive hours and hike into the sweet spot that produced big record size bucks from the good old days the out of state hunters get all the preferance and make hunting in Nevada worth every penny as i now see it.

How can you be a Nevadan, but live in Idaho?

I am a Nevadan, born and raised. Never lived anywhere else. Wouldn't want to.

Once in a lifetime for a bull elk? Hardly. It takes roughly 10-12 years to draw in a good area. If you are successful, you'll have to wait 10 years to start drawing again. Then another 10-12 to draw another. 30-35 years between tags is a long time, not a lifetime.

I think you got some other figures mixed up. I look every year at the draw statistics when its time to put in for tags. I just looked again to make sure.

If you are a nonresident applying for rifle bull elk tags in Nevada, in most cases, you're chances of drawing a tag are half that of a resident. If you want to hunt area 16(early) you are 10x less likely to draw.

And for the tag fees. Resident elk tag is $120. Non-resident tag is $1200.

For deer, the odds that a non-resident draws is again 10x less than a resident in the most popular areas.

well i was born in reno and raised in sparks and except for the four years i spent in the marine corps hadn't lived in any other state and in 03 made the move to fernley. and in 06 moved to idaho thats how i'm a nevadan living in idaho. the stat that its 10x harder for out of state to draw is a scued stat what i found is that 10x more residents put in for smaller amounts of tags and that yes the non- resident tags may just have a few the chances that i darw are better than 10x more like 10 to 1. and i still in 26 years of hunting nv have never drawn an elk tag and no one in my family has eather since 1981 i was not old enough to hunt myself on that hunt so when i say once in a lifetime and you say 30-35 years in between thats tomatoe-tomotoe and when i get a deer tag this year in the rubies im gona state the same claim the draw hunt in nevada is worth every penny ya it might be expensive but to me its worth it. and i get to go back to the same places that my dad took me growing up. the hardest choice that i make is do i go with my dad or do i buy my tag over the counter and go for the general hunt in idaho heck if nevada gets to be hard to hunt i might sel my house in nevada and take up permenant residance hear.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as a jerk. I'm an engineer, I'm more easy dealing in numbers.

The numbers aren't skewed. Odds are calculated by the number of applications per tag. There can be 4000 applicants for 1000 tags or 4 applicants for 1 tag. The odds will still be 4:1(25%).

By the way those are your odds of drawing a non-resident deer tag for area 10 (early). If you were still a resident the odds are 2:1(50%).

So in that hunt a resident is 2x more likely to draw the same tag.

The late area 10 hunt goes up to 5x. NonResident-20:1, Resident-4:1.

I'm glad hunting in Nevada is worth it to you. It's worth it to me too. I still hunt here even if it cost NR fees.

Elk tags are hard to draw, but not impossible. I drew one 11 years ago, and was fortunate enough to kill a nice bull. The 10 year wait to apply again was a hard one though :rolleyes:. My old man drew one, and both of my cousins have as well. Elk quality has gone downhill A TON though in the last 10-12 years however. One thing to remember is that if you are a nonresident you can put in for the guided draw, if you were so inlcined. Those odds are actually much better than the regular nonresident draw, and in some cases better than the resident draw. Also, keep up on those bonus points because they count even more in Nevada than other states as their bonus points are squared. That means if you have a total of 4 points in a draw, your name goes in 16 times - 5 points puts your name in the hat 25 times, etc. I think it's the best bonus point system out there.

it sure has been nice to get some feed back on this but elk hunting in nevada i'm still alittle sour on my luck hasnt got any better and i have had 13 preferentioal points and still not drawn and then the year that my residance changed the pionts started over and now i have 3 but im just about ready to give up un that dream elk hunt. but so far the deer hunting is keeping me in love with the state that one day might be my home again. and not to steer to far from NV my neighbor feels the same way about colorado and he has lived in idaho his hole life but hunts Co almost every year. and i cant argue with him he has some nice racks but the NV bucks that i have are just as impresive just 1 i dont have, a non typical buck yet to show up his most impresive trophy. but what ive seen in the record books in NV kick it *** i just dont have one of my own yet and any suggestions on areas and stories on those multi horned cactus bucks would be app.

Im a resident of NV and have been all of my life.....................I drew an Elk tag about 7 years ago after putting in four times...................I hunted three days and saw over 50 bulls. I ended up shooting a bull that was not real big by Nevada standards, 320 But it was warm for that time of year. However I did see lots of 6 point bulls and one huge 7 point. I looked over 6 point bulls every day..............My bull was even on both sides very few minus points. It was a hunt of a life time and when my 9 or 10 year wait is up I will be putting in again.............worth ever penney.
I got a really nice antelope buck last year and drew a rife deer tag for area 043 this year.................I have gotten spoiled hunting Nevada. Last year I looked over a lot of Antelope bucks. Most were really high up in the rimrocks. I killed a really nice buck but by the time I got it off the Mt I had to have a European mount done. It really turned out nice. This season I will be able to use my new .243 Ackley I received from the smith last month........
If you check out the odds there are some areas where a non-resident has a better chance of drawing than a resident check out area 042.............its a sleeper. While hunting Antelope there last year I glassed over two beautiful bucks below the rimrocks..............both close to 30inches...........you wont see a lot of bucks in this area but when you do they are really nice. I hunted Deer there a few years back and the best part of the hunt was that I never saw another person.................had the whole place to myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.