DPMS LR-.308 loads

Mine likes the 165 Hornady SST and IL bullets. It also shoots well with 168, 175 and 178 bullets with 41.5 gr of H4895 and a match primer. If you are shooting from a front rest (other than bipod) you really have to watch out for different canting due to the round forend. You will like it a bunch!

Mine likes the 165 Hornady SST and IL bullets. It also shoots well with 168, 175 and 178 bullets with 41.5 gr of H4895 and a match primer. If you are shooting from a front rest (other than bipod) you really have to watch out for different canting due to the round forend. You will like it a bunch!

What 168 gr bullets are you using? Tell me they are SMKs. I have a ton of those.

Hicks

I just bought one from Kirby, with a 24" bbl. Does anybody have one and if so what does it like to eat?

Hicks

This works well for me..
175g. Sierra Mk
Federal Match case.
CCI-#34 mil primer
RL-15 {43.5grs)
From 24 in barrel vel's are 2650 fps.
Very accurate.
Good luck

Armalite 44 1/2 gr Varget, 168gr Nos, 210M, Lapua Brass.
41.5 Tac, 165gr nos, CCI Lage rifle, LC brass
Both are good loads.....

I shoot a 168 Hornady Match with 39 gr. of IMR4985, Fed LR Match primers, Winchester brass, set at 2.780" OAL and am getting 0.5 - 0.6" groups at 100 yards. Light load but it loves it.

Don't know where you got your load, or if you're even aware of this, but you've **** near duplicated the load for LC's M118LR ammo. They use an LC Match case and a #43 primer instead of the #34, but other than that, you're there. That load should shoot in just about any properly built 308, bolt gun or gas gun, and have the "oomph" to hang in there at the 1000 yard mark.

I just bought one of these lr .308 24" rifles. i got the 24" for obvious reasons (as the forum suggests)
went with it over the rra lar8 26" as i can put a national match 2 stage trigger in it and still come WAY UNDER the price of the rra.
the question i have is for the 225 grain hornadys' and 230 grain bergers.
can these be loaded to fit the mag?
does anyone have a safe loading for .308?

I ran some numbers and at my range i should be able to get out to 1250 with the 230 g berger targets supposing 2200 fps.

any ideas?
gun)

Don't know where you got your load, or if you're even aware of this, but you've **** near duplicated the load for LC's M118LR ammo. They use an LC Match case and a #43 primer instead of the #34, but other than that, you're there. That load should shoot in just about any properly built 308, bolt gun or gas gun, and have the "oomph" to hang in there at the 1000 yard mark.

Kevin,
For some reason; on my end'.., I didn't pick up your comment as too the load.
When RL-15 powder first came out, I was under the understanding the Army was looking at the powder very hard, testing it with the 168gr and then newer 175gr Sierra MK bullets. I was lucky enough too reverse engineer an early M118LR cartridge the first time I got my hands on one. Over all... the RL-15 powder got better and so did the loads, both theirs and mine. I used mine allot in F-Class Tactical rifle matches both here and in Canada having very good results with the load in all manner of temperatures and elevations. I started using the load for 1k Long Range matches later on, never looked back. I have gotten some amazing groups {five shot} over the years with this load, both from bolt & semi auto rifles. When I say semi autos, I'm referring to AR10's, and the FN FAL's. I'm not big on putting this load through my M1A
For me the primer was a no brainier in the gas guns CCI #34, however I had to beef {firing pin} up a little for reliability in my bolt rifle… an early M24. My other option was to use Russian KVB-7 large primer for the bolt rifles... They "work great" I can't even tell I made any load change in the load, but the Russian stuff a little hard to come by…. I stock piled them and glad I did.
As it stands, it's still my number one go to load for my .308's.
Cheers

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.