DPMS AR-15 Accuaracy/Dependability

yote doctor

New to the ARs and looking for some help. DPMS are in my price range and wondering about performance. I will get aftermarket trigger for sure! I am not against using dpms upper with a different lower or visa versa. Interested in 20" barrel only. Any help is great. Feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Yote doctor,

AR dependability depends far more on ammo quality than most anything else. DPMS has made some pretty decent stuff, and they're still used by an awful lot of Service Rifle competitors. Mil Spec is the gold standard when dealing with service rifles, so just check their status via their catalog, website or whatever. If they're making Mil Spec stuff, they'll say so.

What exactly are you doing with this? Little more info might be helpful here.

This will be my go-to (calling coyote) rifle. It will also be seeing a few long days on prarie dog towns. Not against shooting factory ammo but I like to reload my own. Need to keep it at $1200 or less.

I am going to insert some links do what you will with them their pourpose is to inform you and nothing more take the info for what its worth. The first is a link to a site with some of the best prices you will find and a broad selection of AR pattern weapons systems(dont forget to look in the specials section). The second and third are links to discusion threads on another fourm, for you to compair AR brands against one and other.

You can get allot for 1200$ if you know where to start. Upgrades to the AR system can be done by any person with a torq wrench and a vise in most cases. The biggest single issue in your ARs qualty and accuracy is the parts you chose for your rifle. ARs are plug and paly like legos.
Impact Guns Home

The Official Why My DPMS, Del-Ton, Oly Arms, Etc. Is Better Than Anything Else Thread - M4Carbine.net Forums

Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands - M4Carbine.net Forums

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thanks To ICANHITHIMMAN, Had the same question as yote dr.
Been a bolt gun guy for almost forever, but started hearing the call of the dark side.

I bought a DPMS LR-308 with the heavy varmint barrel about a year ago. Not a .223 I know, but still basically the same scaled up rifle.

First I put a Jewel trigger in it before I even fired a shot. The factory trigger was terrible. Other than that, I have made no changes to it. Mounted up a Swaro 6-24X50 with a plex reticle that I was not using. Loaded up some 150 grain bergers and went shooting.

I was pleasantly surprised that the rifle will easily shoot sub 1 moa groups out to 500, closer to 1/2 moa really. Overall the rifle seems well made, functions well and shoots great. I would not hesitate to buy the varmint barreled AR15.

I concur with the build it yourself recommendation... You will probably spend all of your $1200 by the time you are all done, but you will not have a box of parts calling to you asking to be rebuilt into another rifle.... they seem to breed in the safe. You can build a REALLY nice rifle easily. the Lego comparison is apt.

Also, i have found that the gun show vendors are starting to cut their losses on parts and rifles that they overbought at inflated prices during the election scare.... last fall we bought a spikes lower fully assembled with their collapsible stock for $250 otd. go to the nearest show and bring cash and a good attitude and you will go far.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts