Down to (2) scope?

Doe

Gun is an AR10-308, i will be mostly punching paper out to 500 yards and beyond if i can find a range. May be use it on deer? 1st scope(Nikon Monarch)..4-16X42..Mil-dot side focus 40moa of internal adj. 2st scope(VX-3)..3.5-10X40..Duplex rec 58moa of internal adj. Which would you chose? Thanks guy!

Personally out of those two, the leupold is where I would towards. Now if those weren't my choices I would drop a little bit more money and pick up a zeiss conquest, or the viper pst.

My pst arrived yesterday and the glass is clean and crisp. The Turrets are extremely positive. I cant wait to take it out

I'm using the 50mm Monarch 4-16 with side focus. I like it a lot. One can get target turrets for it, but even the low profile ones can be zeroed easily after dialing it in, and the tracking seems fine on mine. Given that I paid just over $700 for the 4-16x50 AND a 3-12x42, both with side focus, I am a happy clam !

One of the things i like about the Nikons is that they have their MD optics cald. for a power lower than the highest. Nikon chooses to set up their MD's for 12x, and at 16 the measurement (subtension) between dots is 2.6 MOA. At 13.8 the subtension is 3.0 MOA. Adds flexibility to the system.

When i was compareing the two scope to me anyhow it seem that the Monarch was crisp and clearer then the VX-3. Any input on that?

have had the same thing, have some leupolds in the vari x II and III and also the rifleman, they are very clear as well with the nikons i have in the buckmaster and even the prostaff but my nikon monarch 5.5-16.5X44 is probaly the clearest scope i own at this time. But thinking my next scope purchase will be a vortex viper 6.5-20X44, just gotta do some more home work and get funding, if it were me in your shoes i would use the nikon just because i like more power.

I have the vortex your talking about and it has beautiful glass. Especially for the price. I was going purchase the monarch until I came across the vortex. The glass was equal, and for the price i took the vortex. Couldn't be happier till I just got my PST!!

In your opinion the Nikon is clearer, has 16x vs 10x an advantage at 500yds in my opinion. Also the side focus is another plus for the Nikon. The only advantage the Leupold seems to have an edge is in moa. But if you ever need more moa with the Nikon. A 10 moa QD ring/base setup from Larue Tactical can solve that.

Last edited:
I have the vortex your talking about and it has beautiful glass. Especially for the price. I was going purchase the monarch until I came across the vortex. The glass was equal, and for the price i took the vortex. Couldn't be happier till I just got my PST!!

you dont by chance want to sell you viper now since you have the pst do you? if so send me a pm, just thought i would ask

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.