Douglas or Shilen

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by flyin lizard, Sep 29, 2009.

1. flyin lizard

flyin lizard Well-Known Member

Looking to buy a new barrel for my sav.mod.11. 300wsm , both douglas and shilen make a threaded and chambered barrel , looking at the ss/match barrel from Shilen, and Douglas has just one offering. Opinions on which is better or are they equal? The shilen is slightly more in cost ,but still very doable.

2. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

Don't forget McGowen, Pacnor, Brux, and others.

I think that Shilen and Douglas are pretty equal. I have both and they both shoot well.

3. LRangepro

LRangepro Member

They both make "fully chambered barrels?" How? I know they make short chambered barrels but if they chambered the barrel in finished deminsions the headspace would be a crap shoot in your gun. Please check and make sure before you order. I think you'll still need a gunsmith.

4. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

It is a Savage M-11 rifle he has. When you screw the barrel on you set the head space then tighten the collar ring to hold everything together. I like Shilen barrels myself.

5. LRangepro

LRangepro Member

Oh, I guess like an AR. I got it. I dont do much with Savage, not too keen on them but I've seen them shoot well. I like Shilen between the two. I might go with Douglas in .30 caliber only.

6. sambubba

sambubba Well-Known Member

I have used both in several calibers, and in my rifles they are about equal.

7. Ksmirk

Ksmirk Well-Known Member

For what it's worth you may take a look at McGowen, I've got 2 for the Savage and got a couple of blanks from them and have had very good results. Just a thought if your not stuck on your two choices. Later,

Kirk

8. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

Try Pac-Nor and get a headspace guage from Midway. Then you are good to go.