Don't understand my Mil Dot scope

Iron Worker

I recently installed a Elite 6500 4.5x30x50MM Mil dot scope on my 6x284. Shot rifle at 100 yards.Placed a tape measure on target to measure where the mil dots are on the target at various zoom settings.For example on 10x 1st mil dot is 4" below POA.2nd 91/2" 3rd 15" 4th is 20". So I brought rifle into NV desert and shot at a rock that laser ed 295 yds. Book says my bullet drops 4.3" at 300 yds when sighted in for 200yds. (70gr Nosler BT 3,850 FPS). So I aimed setting the 1st Mil Dot on the rock. The bullet went over the top of the rock? So I aimed at the tip of the rock and hit it. I fired three rnds and hit it all 3 shots,severely wounding the rock.So Walking up to rock and all the shots were at the top of rock where I aimed. I thought they'd be lower ? Ok next set up a steel plate at about 550 yds. Book say bullet drops 27" with 200 yds zero. So I aimed using last Mildot (5th one). Again shots went over the target ? So I aimed with 4th same thing over the target ! Out of frustration I used 1st mil dot at the plate and I hit it! This is at 550 yds ???? ..............What am I missing here? Also targets were about 5 degrees up hill,elevation 4,000 FT develop load at sea level.............. Shot plate( 3/8ths plate) at 210 yds and that 70 gr Nosler completely pierced it.At 500 it look like it "Cut a dent" in the plate,amazing how powerful that cartridge is!

Iron Worker

I think your missing the whole concept!
I don't have that scope or use mils, BUT

If your mil spacing at 10 power is as you said 4" lower than the crosshair at 100yrds.
then at 300 yards that same mil will be 3*4"= 12" under Cross

then at (about) 550 yards that same mil dot will be 5.5*4"= 22" under Cross

I think a mil is 3.6" at 100yrds. but I could be wrong I don't use mils!
Most scopes are set on highest mag for calibration but not all.
some scopes spacing changes with power change some don't. FFP vs SFP

Their will be lot's of help on this,
so
1 mil at 100 yards = 3.6"
then that same mil dot at 200 yards is 7.2"
300 yards it is 10.8"
400................14.4"
500................18"

You will get this is just takes some getting use to.
CAM

Forgot to say if you do a search there is lot's and lot's of reading.
everyone looks at this different but it is simple math and the end resault is the same.
I use MOA but the concept is the same!

1 MOA @ 100yards= close to 1" actually 1.047"
so 1 MOA @ 200 yards= 2"
so 1 MOA @ 500 yards= 5"
when you get to 1K, 1 MOA= 10.47"

If your spacing changes with scope power change, everything changes!

Cam

Last edited:
Cam thanks for tactfully shinning a flash light in my face. Any how I bought this scope on e-bay for a great low price. Normally I wouldn't of purchased a Mil Dot scope. So I understand my mistake.This forum and others like it our great !

Iron Worker,
if your distance is exactly 100 yards, and your parallax has been adjusted right for 100 yards, your drops from point of aim should be:

For 1st one: 3.6"
2nd one: 7.2"
3rd one: 10.8"
4th one: 14.4"

When you took the readings at 10X, the scope was either moving or the parallax was not adjusted right. The spreading you were getting was:
4"; 5.5"; 5.5"; 4"
There is no consistency.
I think, if you set your power ring at 11x, then you should be reading in
3.6" increments with consistency.

Once you know at what power range you're getting the 3.6", do not get a
drop chart telling you how many inches the bullet drops; get a drop chart
telling you how many mil-dots you need of adjustments to hit the target.
No need to complicating things.

6gwwv6.jpg

Example: You range a target at 500 yards. The table above tell you the bullet would impact 33.9" below the target... I don't want that... It also says it will impact at 1.9 mil-dots low... that info is what I want, now I raise my sights almost 2 mil-dots and let it fly...

I hope that helps. :)

Last edited:
You need to do a little bit of research on your particular load. You will need to know your muzzle velocity at a minimum. Check out this site, and plug in your particular numbers.
JBM - Calculations - Trajectory (Simplified)
Keep in mind however that as the environmental conditions change, so will your drop data. But use numbers that match up with an average day in your AO, and it'll get you close.

The main function of the mil dots is to determine range to the target, as long as you know the size of the object. They can be used for hold overs/unders and for movers as well, obviously. However, you just need to determine the drops for your load, and make sure that you are on the same power setting when doing this. I am of course assuming you have an SFP scope, meaning the crosshairs appear to remain the same size in the scope as power is increased or decreased. You also need to make sure of what power setting your mils are accurate on. One mil should subtend 3.6" at 100 yds. In other words, from the center of the crosshair, to the center of the first dot, either top, bottom, L or R. And also, from the center of that dot, to the center of the next dot.

Geb

The Mildot Master is very useful in my opinion. I have one in each of my log books for each rifle. It takes care of the calculations, all you have to do is line up the corresponding values.

Iron Worker,

The JBM - Calculations - Trajectory (Simplified) is a good Idea. Other wise just send to me all the info and I will make one for you and work with you untill the dop chart matches your real life impact points. :)
To spend money on a Mildot Master, I'd rather save the money and buy me an inexpensive PDA and a Ballistic Program for it.

Last edited:
Let's not get confused, the Mildot master is not used as a ballistic resource. I think it can be used to help with drop data, but the main use is for determining range to the target, in an easy to use format. You would still be wise to invest in the PDA and ballistic program. But unless you know the range to the target, the PDA ain't gonna help much. I use Exbal on a Palm and it works pretty good. Several others are out there as well such as the Nightforce. Take Eaglet up on his offer to get your data squared away, that's a nice offer.

That's true, and it's only as accurate as you can guess the size of the target; therefore... I think Iron Worker already has a range finder.

Howdy Eaglet my bullet is a 70gr Nosler Balistic tip. I'm shooting these out of the "Hot rod" 6x284. I can comfortably push those bullets to 3,850 FPS. BC is .310.... What else do you need? ..... I was in Fallon NV Friday and Saturday trying to call in some coyotes. I went to several locations east and west of Fallon. I couldn't get any to come in. Plus I didn't see any Jacks either. Is this all because of the drought?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.