Dont know what happened at 800 yards

Crazycooydog

I have the same problem some days too.
I only shoot a 22-250 and 50gr's at 3900 fps.And only at 500 yards..

I just call it,not my day for shooting groups. The next day it shoots great,so it must be me. I have resorted to taking two guns to the range just for that purpose.If one don't shoot I shoot the other and normaly it don't shoot either.There for it must be me.

Just a thought.

[ 02-03-2004: Message edited by: Crazycooydog ]

How about the bullets and cases being of dissimalr metals?? Perhaps they tarnished one another ever so slightly.

I have noticed a differance in the way my loads perform simply by cleaning the burnt powder from the inside of the neck or not.

There are 1000+ things that it could have been and not to belittle anybody, it could have been the shooter or highly unlikly, but air density, a dirty barrel...a bad judgment of the wind. Try loading some new rounds up to your normal specs and try it again. 2 or 3 times need be. Then and only then begin to worry.

I just got back from shooting 800 yards and was very dissappointed. I was shooting my usually very accurate .300 RUM. As most know, I have a load worked up with the 200g SMK. I have only shot 1, 3 shot group at 800 yards and it was 4 inches. That was about 3 months ago. I still had about 10 of those shells left so I wanted to try a 5 shot group at that distance. I was using the same bench and rest and everything, but this time the group was 14 inches! There was very little wind. I had 2 shots high, 1 in the middle, and 2 low, pretty much all in a straight line, so again not really the wind. I always let the barrel cool at least a couple minutes between shooting the next shot. The only thing I can think of is the temperature, but then again I'm using H-1000 and I thought that was temp insensitive? Checked all the screws, all tight. Just the other day, I shot a 3.5" 3 shot group with my 150g CT BT. I am really stumped here. Anybody know something I dont??

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.