Does to tight a pattern = to small?

DartonJager

I had read a great deal about Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike turkey choke tubes and how awesome they performed with Winchester LB/XR turkey loads. I saw Bass pro had them on an internet sale for I think, $54 VS I think $70? I have a hard time finding anything besides reloading components from BP or Cabela's to spend my points on so I went to my local Cabela's and they quite happily agreed to honor the net price on the in store ICBD Strike choke tubes.

To say I was impressed is no small understatement. At 30 yards I have a life sized turkey target complete with the brain and spinal column that is 12"x12" the 12x12" target contained the vast majority of the 2oz load of #6s or #5s which both shot equally well out of my 26.5" 12ga 870 Supermag.

My friend who was with remarked he felt it was to tight or to put it another way to small a pattern and would be to easy to miss a Tom up close. I said considering I was using a 2-7 power Leupold shotgun scope I don't see how with such a precise aid in aiming I could not keep a turkey's head within the 12"x12" kill zone of that gun and load unless I'm really having a airhead moment and would likely miss regardless of what pattern the gun shot.

Was wondering do you guys think, are today's newer turkey specific choke tubes printing to small of patterns and do you think a plane full choke and larger pattern is better all around than the extra full chokes so popular now?

You can get too small but I like a "hot" core. I use TSS shot out of a 20 ga and put up high numbers (a little over 300 hits) in the 10" circle at 40 yards and around 200 the 20" circle.
That being said, I know my pattern is tight and I try to select my shot accordingly. I don't want the bird in my lap but would rather have him at around 25 yards. I do use a red dot sight on my gun to help make sure I am on target.
Having said all that, I know my rig will kill beyond 50 yards but I really try not to take a shot past 40 if I can help it.

If you were just using the 'bead' of the shotgun, perhaps I could see your friend's concern about the tightness of the pattern at closer range. But since you are aiming through a scope, I don't think there is 'too tight'. You line up on your bird, pull the trigger and it dies. Clean, quick, effective. You're good!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.