Does new brass shoot differently than fire-formed brass?

Yes, new brass shoots different to fired brass, even if it is only once fired.
I am different to most, I find new brass to be more accurate in my hunting rifles and that is what I hunt with.
In my other rifles used for comp/LR/varmints, I use formed brass because the difference between new and formed is a little in favour of the stable brass. Although I shot my best ever group at 600mtr with NEW brass in my 6.5x47. Go figure.

Cheers.

I have hit the holy grail and found an awesome load for my rifle. It has been difficult and turbulent, because my rifle was not consistent. But after glass bedding it and changing how I measure where the bullet meets the lands, I am making a ragged hole with my 300 WM. I am elated. Finally! OK, so I have been reusing brass to do this. I areal and trim etc. Now that I have found my load, I want to load up about 50 rounds to have on hand for hunting before I start experimenting with other bullets, etc. I have 100 new brass cases that are ready.

Here is my question: Will these new, virgin cartridges shoot the same as the fire-formed ones I used to work up my load? I do not want to waste bullets and powder shooting them. Thanks
Same brass manufacturer....or different

@entoptics undertook this very question and backed it up with results
You can find the thread here:

I have hit the holy grail and found an awesome load for my rifle. It has been difficult and turbulent, because my rifle was not consistent. But after glass bedding it and changing how I measure where the bullet meets the lands, I am making a ragged hole with my 300 WM. I am elated. Finally! OK, so I have been reusing brass to do this. I areal and trim etc. Now that I have found my load, I want to load up about 50 rounds to have on hand for hunting before I start experimenting with other bullets, etc. I have 100 new brass cases that are ready.

Here is my question: Will these new, virgin cartridges shoot the same as the fire-formed ones I used to work up my load? I do not want to waste bullets and powder shooting them. Thanks
I always FL size, even new brass, and anneal necks/shoulders every other loading so I get consistent results and 0.4 moa in two different factory 30 cal rifles. Finding the seating depth accuracy node at midrange charge weight then increasing the charge weight to optimum has been the key for me.

Regards the "cold weld" possibility. I don't really know for sure if it is a true phenomenon, but I believe it is as I have had older ammo exhibit much increased neck tension.

I am going to load up a good bit of ammo for "backup/rainy-day" storage. Might sit for a long time. Is there a neck lube or other process or treatment one can use to eliminate the possibility of "cold-welding"? (Not interested in moly coating, or other high tech, possibly questionable bullet treatments. Don't care to go down that particular "rabbit hole" at this time, if ever.)

Thanks!
Vettepilot
Its tedious but you can wipe a graphite powdered q-tip inside the neck or Hornady One Shot might work but let it dry completely.

Thanks for the answer. I'm thinking some number 9 shot, with more graphite added, in a cup would work. Dip the neck and load. I wonder if powdered mica would work?

Does anyone know if the "cold welding" phenomenon would affect cast bullets as well? (Yeah I know, probably not the best forum for that particular question...)

Vettepilot

This is from 208 gr Hornady ELD-M which I cannot get any more of. Noslers and bergers don't shoot in this gun.
I feel your pain. I have a killer load for my creedmoor with 147 eldm and can't get them anymore. Have had them on order for 4 months with no end in sight. I just bought 700 rounds of the 140's because they are also getting hard to find in Canada. I just started load deveopment with them the other day......... thankfully it looks like they will also be great shooters. Good luck with your loading

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.