Does Leupold still make/carry quality products?

Southernfryedyankee

I am looking very hard at the Mark 4 but I don't want to pay top $$$ for something way less than top $$$ merchndise. I have been told and I do NOT know if it is true or not that alot of the parts and manufacturing for Leupold are done in China now, is this true? I know China has had ALOT of issues over the last few years and I didt know if optics were 1 of them.

I am looking very hard at the Mark 4 but I don't want to pay top $$$ for something way less than top $$$ merchndise. I have been told and I do NOT know if it is true or not that alot of the parts and manufacturing for Leupold are done in China now, is this true? I know China has had ALOT of issues over the last few years and I didt know if optics were 1 of them.

Yes they do !!!!!

I just received a Leupold MK4 (64660) 6.5x20x50 ER/T 30mm tube Mil Dot reticle for a friends
338 RUM and I am very impressed with everything. Turrets,tracking,glass and they came with
aluminum screw in lens caps.

All the clicks were very crisp and the side focus was very smooth and didn't need to be zeroed
each time it was used.

As to where some parts are made everyone says that there competitors scopes are made in
"bongalong" and there scopes are all American. In fact most all scopes have parts made
somewhere other than America and as long as there is good quality control it does not really
matter except to those of us that would like for everything to be made in AMERICA !!!!!!

There are cheep scopes and good scopes the difference is the quality of the sum of all parts.

As most on this web site know I am a big fan of Leupold scopes and for the money they are
hard to beat. There are more expensive scopes but I cant tell much if any difference between
them. at this level and cost it boils down to personal preference.

If you decide to buy a Leupold MK4 you will not be disappointed.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Reply was much appreciated. Thank you. I am building my first long range tac rifle and I dont necessarily need overkill. I have also been considering the Nikon 4-16x50 30mm or the Nikon 5-20x44 1" I have had great luck with Nikons but was thinking about trying something different

I have had great success with them over the last 10 years. You might look at the new VX3. With the upgraded lens coating, dual spring erector & a few other changes it's my favorite and it's easy on the wallet.

I use the 4.5x14x50 and love the light weight. If I'm building a 10# finished rifle, a 1# scope lets the actual rifle weigh 9#, if I put a big 2# scope on, I have to lose a pound from somewhere important to accuracy.

I've talked to Leupold about this subject. They say the only products made over seas is the range finders, some binoculars and some accessories. No vx3s or mark 4's.

I Love Leupold and like Nikon very much. I recently ordered a Nikon Monarch X 2.5 x 10 x44. It has a 30MM tube. I contacted Nikon and was told X line of Monarch scopes has a more robust/precise internal adjustment mechanism than the Monarch Gold. It's there best system. Also features a glass etched reticle.

I looked at the 4x12x50 Monarch X but thought it to big for my needs (14.8" length) but it seems like a fine scope.

I also looked hard at the VX3's. The only reason I decided on the Nikon X over the Leupold VX3 was that I had to either get a 40MM obj. or a 50MM obj. I wanted something in the middle.

I believe Leupold offers that in the Mark 4's. I still feel like a traitor for buying the Nikon, I hope it's a good scope and I'm sure it will be, if not, off it will come and on with the Leupold. I Don't think you can go wrong with either model you mentioned.

Best,

D.

Last edited:
Mark4 is a good scope- I have two 6.5x20's. However, depending on which Mark 4 you are looking at, for a little more money you can get a Nightforce. You can pick up a used Nightforce for the price of a new Mark 4.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.